First Time Poster Hello

Hello,

I just found this place. I'm looking for people in the Pacific Northwest to talk to. I would really like to get out on some trails and see the country. I'm a newbie but I just got a 1979 Ford Quadravan. Needs to be smooth trails though because of my Chronic Back Pain but I'd sure like to just get off the pavement and see some nature.

Looking forward to talking to you all.

-Leroy

ThomD

Explorer
Welcome to the Portal. To be honest, your first posts were just generic enough that I suspected spam. :) Since you've come back, you must be a real person. Kick back, relax, enjoy the company.

Welcome to the Portal. To be honest, your first posts were just generic enough that I suspected spam. :) Since you've come back, you must be a real person. Kick back, relax, enjoy the company.

Thanks, I've been really getting excited browsing through the forum seeing everybody's rides and how they have modified them. I'm getting some really good ideas for my Van.

Welcome to the portal friend!

Thanks It's good to be here.

So far I have built a sleeping platform in the back with storage underneath. I wish I would have scene the thread about the drawer systems before I built mine though. Mine is just set up for storage totes or milk crates.

I'm thinking about how I can add a water supply with a pump or pressurized tank now and maybe a 12v compressor so I can air my tires back up after going on the beach.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Welcome, my sleeping platform is simple as well. I didn't use drawers because I am in a wheelchair, with the drawers open they would be so high that I wouldn’t be able to reach inside. I like being able to transfer into the back of my Ramcharger then getting into my storage boxes. As for water storage I like using water jugs and a 12v pump that plugs into an acc plug. This way I can remove the jugs when not needed. Getting a air compressor is one of the best investments you can make.
Have fun on the trails and if you don’t mind tell us a little more about your disability and any mods you have made to your van to help you explore.
Bill

Welcome, my sleeping platform is simple as well. I didn't use drawers because I am in a wheelchair, with the drawers open they would be so high that I wouldn’t be able to reach inside. I like being able to transfer into the back of my Ramcharger then getting into my storage boxes. As for water storage I like using water jugs and a 12v pump that plugs into an acc plug. This way I can remove the jugs when not needed. Getting a air compressor is one of the best investments you can make.
Have fun on the trails and if you don’t mind tell us a little more about your disability and any mods you have made to your van to help you explore.
Bill

Well I was in a car wreck that ruptured my L4/L5 disk. it cause me to get nerve damage of both weakness and pain in both legs with a drop foot in my left foot. I had surgery but do to an Arthritic Condition they could not replace the disk and just kind of cleaned up the mess. I have Moderate to Severe Back pain daily and limited Flexibility. I could have been much worse but It makes it very painful to sit for very long or to be bumped or bounced around. So a good Seat is my next investment.

What wold you recommend for my first On-board Air Compressor?

I look forward to talking to you much more.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Well I was in a car wreck that ruptured my L4/L5 disk. it cause me to get nerve damage of both weakness and pain in both legs with a drop foot in my left foot. I had surgery but do to an Arthritic Condition they could not replace the disk and just kind of cleaned up the mess. I have Moderate to Severe Back pain daily and limited Flexibility. I could have been much worse but It makes it very painful to sit for very long or to be bumped or bounced around. So a good Seat is my next investment.

What wold you recommend for my first On-board Air Compressor?

I look forward to talking to you much more.

Just get a good mid-priced compressor with 100% duty cycle. No need to spend a huge amount of money on a high dollar unit when a mid-priced one will do the same job. Mine is a VIAIR 450H. It has worked well for three years now with no issues. It is a little slow airing up 35” tires but works very well on smaller tires. I have to have a comfortable seat as well. I swapped in a set of buckets with a lot of side support from a late model Subaru.
Good luck.

Just get a good mid-priced compressor with 100% duty cycle. No need to spend a huge amount of money on a high dollar unit when a mid-priced one will do the same job. Mine is a VIAIR 450H. It has worked well for three years now with no issues. It is a little slow airing up 35” tires but works very well on smaller tires. I have to have a comfortable seat as well. I swapped in a set of buckets with a lot of side support from a late model Subaru.
Good luck.

Thanks for the compressor recommendation. I just checked that brand out on Amazon and it looks like a good way to go. Do you have it mounted up in one place or do you have it where you can move it around? I was thinking keeping it portable might be the best idea that way I could put some alligator clamps on it and hook it right to the battery. Although I looked at some A/C compressor conversions and they looked pretty doable. I also have an unused A/C compressor on my Van that has been unhooked. So that might make a easy conversion.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I have my compressor hard mounted under the hood an air tank behind the front bumper. I do like your idea of having it portable, works well if you have more than one vehicle. My friend Larry has an Extreme Outback portable that is awesome. It comes mounted in a heavy duty tool box and huge cables to clip to the battery.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If I were to do it over again I would just buy a co2 tank, much faster and more portable. I borrowed a buddy's tank and it aired my 33x12.50 tires from 15psi to 32psi in under 90 seconds each, my small compressor takes about 5 minutes each and can get hot. We also ran air tools off his tank which you can't do with most compressors.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
All very true. Just be mindful of the weight factor. I have sustained injuries to my back (Past life) and after purchasing my PowerTank, which I love BTW, can be a bit heavy when loading/unloading. I also bought a special carry bag with pouches to store all my hoses, acesseries and deflators. When all are combined, it can get a wee heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles