Off road trailer - sways down the freeway

chrislloyd

thanks for all the info. I had wanted to matching tires on the trailer anyway... so glad to hear it might help with the issue as well. I ordered matching hubs and wheels this week. I will have to go from spring under to spring over though. my receiver is built in to the bumper. the lock and roll hitch slides directly in to there... if i left it spring under, the trailer would angle back quite a bit.

I will do some measurements, but when i bought the trailer, i remember that the rear wheels were about as far back from the tongue as some of the other trailers i have read about. i wouldnt mid a little more space between the truck and triler, but is there such a thing as too much?

Lucky j

Explorer
My trailer ad 34"x11.5" and one of my rig ad 29"x7" and my trailer never sway if loaded correctly!

You need at least the equivalent of 50 lbs of weight. Also, could the wind picking on the load forcong the wheigt back?

Move the axle a couple on inch back or extend the thong and put a spare tire on it, or some thing esle to put gear in it.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
Yep, I was going to suggest a longer tongue. I heard, but can't confirm something like tongue length should be twice the tire width. +/-

Lucky j

Explorer
Sorry! I phone and translation from french to english.

Je peux vous la faire en francais si vous voulez! Lol ;0)

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
similar trailer similar problem. I loaded it up once and then put bikes on the back and almost lost the trailer a few miles from my house. I was lucky and was able to get it stopped. I would recommend lengthening the tongue. There is a trailer build on here by dieselcruiserhead that shows a great way to do it. Then like stated in other posts, put some water or gas cans out front permanently so you don't have to worry any more. I would not worry about the tire height at all.

Edit: I found the link to his buildhttp://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/20925-M416-Build?highlight= Look at posts 39-44

Last edited:

Brazos609

Observer
thanks for all the info. I had wanted to matching tires on the trailer anyway... so glad to hear it might help with the issue as well. I ordered matching hubs and wheels this week. I will have to go from spring under to spring over though. my receiver is built in to the bumper. the lock and roll hitch slides directly in to there... if i left it spring under, the trailer would angle back quite a bit.

Sell the #301 fixed Lock N' Roll hitch and buy the #303 that will fit on the drop hitch/ball mount of your choice. Mount up your matching wheel and tire combo with the spring under set-up and measure how much of a drop hitch you will need. Swapping the Lock N' Roll will be close to a wash price wise and a drop hitch will cost you about $50 for a good one. It will be alot simpler and cheaper than doing a SOA conversion.
image.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94