Sankey Pod or Pickup type camper?

headdamage

Observer
I've got a wide track Sankey MkIII and I'm thinking of ways to make it better for trips/camping. I had intended to just put a roof tent on it but I got to thinking that some thing more secure and insulated might be nice for winter trips and trips in less camping friendly areas.

Has anyone made or seen an camper pod or insert that fits into a Sankey body? Something like a pickup camper, put it in when you are taking a trip and take it out when you want the trailer to be used for hauling wood and trips to the dump. Maybe put jacks on the pod so that the unit can be dismounted very easily.

Another option might be to make a unit that bolts down onto the Sankey frame in place of the steel body but I thought the insert would be easier but heavier.

Thanks for any help :)

Die-Tryin

I just had to google and find out WTH a Sankey was. lol..So now I know. I would take it to a Truck Topper shop and have them measure it and see what may fit.

attachment.php

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Custom camper

I have been thinking of building something like this set up.
It could be built light enough to be removed and I could use the trailer to haul.
This one is in a M101A2 but could be built to suit your needs.

Another way I was thinking is a company called Can Back.
They make canvas convertible toppers. I checked pricing and they are expensive.
I would go with a RTT instead.

Check them out.

http://www.can-back.com/

Attachments

• image_php6.jpg
    image_php6.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 280
  • image_php1.jpg
    image_php1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 251
  • image_php.jpg
    image_php.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 278

Xrunner

Explorer
I have been thinking of building something like this set up.
It could be built light enough to be removed and I could use the trailer to haul.
This one is in a M101A2 but could be built to suit your needs.

...snip...

Any more details on that M101 build? Do you know if the walls (sans back door wall) are all canvas?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Here's a pic of my first trailer build that was a 1949 trailer covered with a finished box, 2 homemade awnings, and a RTT. Carried all the gear on the inside and the front rack carried a battery, cooler, and 3-7 gallon water jugs. It handled real well, just wanted something a bit heavier duty.

orgroam.jpgorgroam1.jpg

I added a new tongue to make it more manuverable...worked great

ORT1.JPGorgroam.jpg

Here it is setup

orgroam1.jpgORT1.JPG

sorry..duplicated pixs..

Last edited:

RLD

Observer
normal_Dark_sky_camp_site_005.jpg

this is my trailer basest on a Sankey frame but draw bar extended 30" and an all ally new top on it just about to do another one now wil post photos as i go along

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Got to see a Sankey up close and personal last year in Vermont.

Built like a tank for sure! Best of luck moving forward with the build.

Pat

RLD

Observer
sorry Skids not been on for a bit just starting to build a new trailer now as i have sold the other the body is made of 6mm aluminium marine grade the next will be to as i have a lot of it the drow bar is extended 30" and for of road use no problem at all just look at the ausy trailers long drow bars
drum braked one extended 30"
normal_Drum%20brake%20Sankey%20ext%20001.jpg

normal_Border%20Rovers%20trailer%20002.jpg

disk brake one 30"
normal_Defender%20week%20end%20with%20trailers%20048.jpg

we had a week end off roading and did Happy Valley in Wales with the trailers all extend ones no problem

skids

Observer
sorry Skids not been on for a bit just starting to build a new trailer now as i have sold the other the body is made of 6mm aluminium marine grade the next will be to as i have a lot of it the drow bar is extended 30" and for of road use no problem at all just look at the ausy trailers long drow bars
drum braked one extended 30"
normal_Drum%20brake%20Sankey%20ext%20001.jpg

normal_Border%20Rovers%20trailer%20002.jpg

disk brake one 30"
normal_Defender%20week%20end%20with%20trailers%20048.jpg

we had a week end off roading and did Happy Valley in Wales with the trailers all extend ones no problem

Thanks for the info, so did you use the original tub and extend up from there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior