Springbar: Made in America?

TexGX

Explorer
I am looking at Labor Day weekend as my first field test. I am really looking forward to it. I let everyone know how it goes

brentbba

Explorer
Well, my dear 10 yr old Eureka dome tent that has been thru wars with those same years involved in scouting finally said enough this past weekend. I tow a M101CDN that's ready for a RTT, but the ones specifically designed for a trailer are just WAY to expensive (read - I have to save my marriage too!) and the RTT's for rooftops just don't cut it for me with the annex option that I really want. That left me with a ground tent. Friend has a Springbar I was really impressed with. Knew from research about the China knockoff from Kodiak. Fellow traveler last weekend had a REI Basecamp6 - nice tent but with the fly off, the interior is way to exposed and with it on you had to duck to get thru the vestibule. Not what I wanted for an aging back!

Reviews of both Springbar and Kodiak have been nothing short of great for both tents. All that being said, Made in America still means something to me, despite driving a Toyota Landcruiser! Place my order for the Springbar Traveller 5 Tuesday. I guess their Youtube video of one of their tents in a pretty nasty storm (tornado?) really sold me on how it withstands high winds! I like the ease of set up compared to dome tents and the extra head room end to end.

TexGX

Explorer
I have used the Kodiak about four times now. Most trips have been one or two nighters. I have also did one where I moved the tent each day. So far, I am very happy with it. I have learned how to set up and take it down fairly quickly. I have yet to use it in bad weather so no information there. The main thing I am liking is not just my tent, but being able to stand up and use of a cot. This would be the same in the Kodiak or Springbar. I am hoping to use it soon in some colder weather to check on the condensation. I will update.

TexGX

brentbba

Explorer
First trip report with the Springbar - SnT. Rained on us both Thursday and Saturday night and lots of wind both nights. Saturday was bad enough to blow over both the pop up awnings we had. Slept very well and dry in the tent. I really enjoyed the extra room. Footprint from old 9x9 to the Springbar deluxe 10x10 isn't much more, but the end to end head room made it feel like it was twice as large inside.
Quality was great and set up was super easy. It is heavy and bulky, but it'll probably be the last tent I ever buy, unless I win the lottery and can afford a RTT for the trailer.

I bought a 10x14 Kodiak this summer with an AMEX coupon posted on this site. I was having trouble deciding between the Springbar and Kodiak but for $400 I thought the Kodiak worth a shot. Our family of seven used it on five trips this summer and fall and it held up great (not that it wouldn't after only five trips). I'm impressed with the quality and look forward to many years of use.

profire

I just purchased the Kodiak Canvas 10x10 at Cabelas. I actually went there to take another look at the display they had setup but when I arrived it had already been taken down. The sales person was super nice and said that it was in the bargain cave and was marked down. I asked how much and he said let's go look, it was marked down to 302.00. Needless to say but I snatched it up and took it home to give it a good look over to make sure everything was there and there were no issues. It was perfect and I am very happy, can't wait to try it out.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
I am gratified to know that Springbar uses only the best quality cotton, and importing the material from Australia is fine with me, as long as they don't import from China. I am aware of many tents that are either made in China or use material imported from China. One reason why I'm considering a Springbar. What's my beaf with China besides poor quality? I don't want to sleep in a possibly toxic chemical contaminated tent.

TexGX

Explorer
TRegasaurus,

When I talked to Springbar, they mentioned they source material all over the world and did not say except China.

I did use the Kodiak over the Thanksgiving weekend. It worked great. I am still not found of all the stakes and will have to admit that I did not put them all in. Luckily it was not super windy and I did not have a problem.

TexGX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke