Springbar: Made in America?

TexGX

Explorer
I have been looking at Springbar tents. Everything looks pretty good, except when I called today, they said that the fabric is sourced from multiple sources. This means that the tent is sew in USA, but materials could come from China(They would not tell me exactly). Not that it is a huge deal, but it would be nice to have something completely made in the US. With this reasoning, a Toyota made in Georgia could be labeled made in USA. Parts from Japan, but put together here in the states. It must not be a big deal as they are back ordered on most of their tents. I am still thinking of going this direction, but just disappointing.

TexGX

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have been looking at Springbar tents. Everything looks pretty good, except when I called today, they said that the fabric is sourced from multiple sources. This means that the tent is sew in USA, but materials could come from China(They would not tell me exactly). Not that it is a huge deal, but it would be nice to have something completely made in the US. With this reasoning, a Toyota made in Georgia could be labeled made in USA. Parts from Japan, but put together here in the states. It must not be a big deal as they are back ordered on most of their tents. I am still thinking of going this direction, but just disappointing.

TexGX

Springbar uses a Sunforger cotton canvas. I would imagine that they source it from where ever it's available. With the economy the way it is right now many companies are not holding stock, and will only manufacturer either when they have enough orders or when you order in volume.

It makes life for us smaller companies very complex, and sometimes it means we can't buy from a US manufacturer because they either don't make what we want, or they don't have it in stock.

We ended up importing fabric from Australia because we couldn't find anything that met our requirements in the USA and the Australians were willing to work with us to produce what we needed.

The fact that Springbar is still sewing high end tents in the USA is amazing all by itself. The art of sewing heavy fabrics is a dying art in North America and I'm just happy they are still around.

4xdog

Explorer
Materials *are* sourced from all over the world for *all* the automobile companies. And for many other industries as well. This is quite normal and isn't automatically a bad thing.

Adding value is important -- that's where jobs and standards of living come from. I'm with Martyn. Surprising, a bit delightful, and BIG kudos to Springbar for doing their manufacturing in the US -- especially for something as labor-intensive as sewing canvas. They've made an impressive commitment to do that, and they'll get my support when I start looking at new tents. Kudos, too, to AT for working hard to get the fabric quality they need in spite of supply chain challenges.

Look at the window sticker of any new car these days from any maker. They have to report country of origin breakdown of the value of the vehicle.

Don

TexGX

Explorer
Great point Martyn. I am still planning on buying one soon. It seems they have been able to keep the price very competitive compared to others that are sew else where.

TexGX

Michael Slade

Untitled
I was at the place that they MAKE the Springbar tents last week. They did a quick little custom sewing job for me right on site. I love those guys.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Best staff ever, they never hesitate to answer my questions when I go in. Best thing about the Springbar tents is that you can still walk in and pick up parts for a tent that is 30 years old!!

D110

Observer
Can't beat a Springbar Tent if you are looking for a ground tent - having spent my life using synthetic tents, I am a complete convert to canvas. I haven't used any other canvas tent brands, but I can attest that the Springbars are built to last a lifetime and then some.

Moody

Needs to get out more
A little bit of interesting information...when the fabric is brought into the shop it is drawn across a light slowly and carefully to inspect for any snags, holes, or other runs in the fabric. I have looked at the 'other' similar tents and found those blemishes on the tents sold over the past few years. My point is that the factory in Salt Lake does an exceptional job with quality control and ensures they are producing a superior product. They even set each tent up -after- it is finished to ensure it is at 100%.

ssssnake529

Explorer
My scout troop is using springbar tents that are about 15 years old. They are still in good condition. When you think of the abuse that scouts dish out on equipment, that is really impressive.

TexGX

Explorer
Well after tons of research and comparison, I just ordered the 4 person Deluxe tent from Kodiac. I know that they are a copy of the Springbar, but here are a few reasons I went with Kodiac:

1. I hate to say it, but the overall look of the tent is better. I just do not like the grey.

2. Two doors. This way if I need to exit out the back I can. Plus this includes 4 large windows.

3. The Kodiac includes storage netting and pockets.

4. Thicker floor.

5. PRICE

I will post my option when I get it in. Springbar seems like a good company, but a update in style would help.

TexGX

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Let us know how the Kodiak works out for you.

I have a Nemo and a Springbar but haven't tried the Kodiak.

They look good, but I haven't spoken to someone who has been a long-time owner.

Cheers

Ray

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
We took the Springbar up to the Rover Ranch event over the weekend. It was a bit like meeting an old friend again. There is nothing like the smell of a canvas tent. And I mean that in a good way.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior