Trailer tire feedback wanted

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Im in the middle of a trailer build and was looking for some feedback on my tire choice. My trailer is very light, fully loaded under 700lbs, so weight has been a big driving force on my tire selection. I want a tire that is soft enough when aired down will have some flex at my weight. The tire specifications meets my design needs. Just looking for anyone with real experiences on this tire before I pull the trigger?

Search produced no hits.

Coker Tire, Firestone Military NDCC, 700-15, Bias Ply, Blackwall

• Asymmetrical Tread Pattern No
• Directional No
• DOT-Approved Yes
• Tire Weight 27lbs.
• Section Width 7.80 in.
• Sidewall Style Blackwall
• Tire Construction Bias-ply
• Tire Diameter 29.50 in.
• Tire Size 700-15
• Tread Ply Nylon Quantity 6
• Tube Required Yes
• Wheel Diameter 15 in.

Attachments

• firestone-ndcc-military-tire-7-00-15-jeep-willys_380208037269.jpg
    firestone-ndcc-military-tire-7-00-15-jeep-willys_380208037269.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 7

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Why not just go with a standard 30x9.50 BFG A/T or other quality A/T's on the market? Military trailer tires are very stiff and made for heavier loads.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Why not just go with a standard 30x9.50 BFG A/T or other quality A/T's on the market? Military trailer tires are very stiff and made for heavier loads.

I considered the BFG but looking at the specs the 7.00-15 still looks like the winner. The BFG is too wide, heavier, and cost 40% more. Being a lighter, bias ply nylon tire with a lower load rating it should be softer, yes?
I have looked at a lot of tires in this size range and keep coming back to the 7.00x15:coffee:

Tire size------7.00-15-------9.50x30
Max load-----1720----------1985
Rec Rim------5.5-----------6.5-8.5
Tire width----7.80----------9.50
Tire height---29.50---------29.50
Tire weight---27-----------38
Thread------16/32--------16/32
Inflation---- 45psi---------50psi
Ply---------6-ply nylon----3-ply poly

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have been doing on and off-road motorsports for 14 years and ran BFG's 90% of the time with ZERO issues, so I speak from experience and believe in doing things right the first time, good luck!

stevec

Adventurer
I have the 6.00x16 4-ply NDT's on one of my LJ10's, and my stepdad has the same on his LJ20. When they were brand new, I could pull the valve stems and drive around on them, but they do soften up after a few hundred miles. I now run them down to 2-4psi on the trail, where they squat nicely. For on-road driving, I run them at 16psi and they ride nice and smooth.

For reference, a stock LJ10 weighs about 1300#, so this should be similar to your <700# trailer (since only two tires vs. four). You can play with tire pressures, but I expect it'll be similar to mine - just remember it'll take a few miles for them to get "broken in."

I think a 30x9.50 tire would be overkill - you're better off with a P235/75R15; slightly smaller, but cheaper, lighter and softer.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Not questioning the BFG tire we had them as a tire sponsor on our Trophy truck and the other 2 classes I have raced in the past but, that does not make them the tire of choice in every situation. I do thank you for your input and experience.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have the 6.00x16 4-ply NDT's on one of my LJ10's, and my stepdad has the same on his LJ20. When they were brand new, I could pull the valve stems and drive around on them, but they do soften up after a few hundred miles. I now run them down to 2-4psi on the trail, where they squat nicely. For on-road driving, I run them at 16psi and they ride nice and smooth.

For reference, a stock LJ10 weighs about 1300#, so this should be similar to your <700# trailer (since only two tires vs. four). You can play with tire pressures, but I expect it'll be similar to mine - just remember it'll take a few miles for them to get "broken in."

I think a 30x9.50 tire would be overkill - you're better off with a P235/75R15; slightly smaller, but cheaper, lighter and softer.

Thank you! Just the kind of positive feedback I was hoping for:cool:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What's the speed rating on the military tire?

I put tires/wheels to match my Jeep at first, as much for interchange possibilities as for speed.
Just sayin' that you don't want to be limited to 55 mph by your trailer's tires.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
What's the speed rating on the military tire?

I put tires/wheels to match my Jeep at first, as much for interchange possibilities as for speed.
Just sayin' that you don't want to be limited to 55 mph by your trailer's tires.

Excellent question, never thought about.

I could not find any specs on speed rating anywhere. So I just called Coker Tire and the 587117 tire has a "P" speeding rating of 93MPH:Wow1:. Hard to imagine anyone taking this tire to 93MPH.

Thanks for thinking about the safety side.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Excellent question, never thought about.

I could not find any specs on speed rating anywhere. So I just called Coker Tire and the 587117 tire has a "P" speeding rating of 93MPH:Wow1:. Hard to imagine anyone taking this tire to 93MPH.

Thanks for thinking about the safety side.
Cool.
I figured them to be an L or unrated.

L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

TacoDell

Adventurer
my '53 Strick, rolls the original Goodyear Military issued 7:00 X 16 (4 ply) tires.
In fact... they're probably the originals tires issued to this trailer.
tho' I don't know for fact.

they have rolled two trips to Moab... and back
racking up near 3K of hwy. duty, in that alone.
ran them at 24 psi... had no issue

I've rolled them on a few mild-moderate trails and have had good success...
when aired down next to nothing...
they seem to conform fairly well and with minimal deflection,
when aired down appropriately

I've read many unprecedented claims that these military bias ply tires do not deliver enough traction on rain slick roadways... but have yet to find this true, in my experience... wet or dry was no matter...
can't say much about snow yet... as I haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

My military tires seem to track, conform and adhere just fine.
So I have no reason to change them out to something else...
except that mine are old... and checking a little on the sidewall(s)
sooo... it's time for something fresher.

I'm eyeballing the Firestone 7:50 X 16 ndcc repro's as replacements :drool:

* I recommend you stay with a 4 ply,
if you want more tire conformity and less deflection when aired down.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I may be going in another direction here, but why would you want to air down your trailer tires and make your pull vehicle have to work harder? I would think if you want more fles. it would be easier to (and cheaper) to do that with springs. Just my thoughts, but I am still trying to figure out why you would want to air down the trailer tires. I love using Non directional military tires. I have two trailers (M100 and M416) and pull them both through the Rubicon. Never had an issue.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I may be going in another direction here, but why would you want to air down your trailer tires and make your pull vehicle have to work harder? I would think if you want more fles. it would be easier to (and cheaper) to do that with springs. Just my thoughts, but I am still trying to figure out why you would want to air down the trailer tires. I love using Non directional military tires. I have two trailers (M100 and M416) and pull them both through the Rubicon. Never had an issue.

Air down for off road travel only. The idea behind airing down trailer tires is basically the same as your truck tires, to take the edge off rocks and small ledges. If a tire is at full pressure and it contacts a 4" ledge it does not absorb the ledge it bounces upon impact. By airing down your trailer tires they conform to the terrain and you smooth out the trailers ride, keeping the tires on the ground.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
When I got my M101 CDN 2 it came with a set of Cooper Discoverer ATR in a 215 x 85 x 16" in an E Load Rating. Good for load capacity, nice deep lugs, quiet on the road and good in all conditions.

I have swapped them for a set of BFG AT's in 31 x 10.5 x 15 on matching wheels to my Cherokee. The reason was for aesthetics only, the Coopers were great, and still are (for sale too).

I have never aired them down (Coopers) but they get a good review as a primary offroad tire from a lot of people who do, so they might be a good option?
Greg

9092a9fc.jpg

d38dafd3.jpg

I also have the stock Michelin X tires as well...

6d62de4c.jpg

Might be another option if you really wanted Military Tires?

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
Hey Greg. On your cdn m101. Are you running the original axle? If so, did you convert the hubs? I am only asking because I am trying to figure out if a mickey thompson wheel will work under that trailer. I dont have my new drums here to test it yet. Im worried that they dont have enough back spacing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94