Free Standing Screen Room reviews

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I'm looking to pick up a screen room for bug control before this weekend. I want a free standing structure.

What models do you all have and what do you think of them? The two I'm looking at are the REI and Coleman ones as my timeline is short. I don't think the Kirkham's one is practical at nearly $500. I'd like to stay sub $199 and preferable no more than $150. Although I notice Oztent has a freestanding one...is it quality and worth the price at $220-290?

Lightweight and small packing is key as it's going in the van. Anyways, let me know what you guys have or have seen!

SWbySWesty

Dang, nobody? Surprising. Searching doesn't bring much up either, so this is a good topic to fill in.

I've narrowed down to Coleman or REI just due to pricing because I do not need a $250-500 rain shelter (I have the van for that) and I don't plan to camp in lots of bad weather with proper planning. Both of these options are $100 and $200 respectively, BUT I think I'll get the "Northwest Territory" K-Mart brand for $50 and see how that goes.

I'll do a review when I'm back since

jim65wagon

We use a FirstUp Gazebo from WalMart. It's less than $100 and you can buy either the wind curtain (opaque fabric walls) or the screen room walls for it. Either of those is $35 dollars. It's easy to set up and take down, the portableness of it you'll have to decide for yourself.

SJC

The LL Bean Woodlands screen house is what I have. Freestanding, sturdy aluminum poles, easy enough to set up. The optional fly/floor kit is nice to have with it. Awnings on two sides... I attach one awning to the van roof rack.
Although, when packed, it's probably not the smallest nor lightest.

Last edited:

TwinCruiser

Observer
I've been using an Ozark Trail Wal-Mart special for 3 years.
It has survived some gusty winds and numerous thunderstorms.
Paid $30 or so. Fits right over a standard picnic table.

KoreshanHistoricSite014.jpg

KoreshanHistoricSite015.jpg

SWbySWesty

So I ended up with a "Northwest Territory" screen house from Kmart for $30. What a piece of crap. The first zip down to close it and the zipper snagged and never recovered. The sides of the tent didn't touch the ground. I got what I paid for and sure, it was fine for the trip, but I'm taking it back and getting something with a floor. Back to the drawing board. EZ up is out as it's too bulky between the walls AND the sides.

I'm thinking of buying lots of mosquito netting to simply drape over my existing Kirkham's car canopy. The in/out of the tented area was mostly for going into my van anyways so I think it might work. Any good sources for just netting?

SnoViking

Adventurer
Check out Paha Que's stuff. Theyre a bit more expensive but you get a lot more quality. We've been using one of the 10x10 screen rooms for about 12 years now. (http://www.pahaque.com/pq/product.asp?pid=86525&ret_id=1455119) I will be the first to chime in and say it's a bit on the expensive side, but it really is top quality. Plus the walls fold down and are fantastic in rain storms. We used ours as a "tent" for 2 years and loved it (not having a floor to worry about getting dirty with 2 pups was def convenient). Paha Que does deals every now and again also. We actually bought ours from and REI back in the day.

thethePete

Explorer
The Coleman instant-tent version is quite nice. Sets up very quick, breaks down just as qiuck and is fairly robust for its price point like all Coleman gear. My friend has one we've used a lot and I intend to pick one up for myself for this season.

ikk

Adventurer
This is the one I got (Clam Corporation 9281). On person setup in a couple of minutes. You can buy optional side panels for shade and wind protection
IMG_20150411_193459.jpgIMG_20150411_152211.jpg
]IMG_20150414_171505 (Small).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier