Overland Recovery Kit

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I am looking for a little bit of input on what you would like to see in an Overland Recovery kit. I know there are specific concerns for some of the vehicles here (mostly due to large weights) but also because of the terrain that you traverse.

In the past we have made up a few different recovery kits just for general use.

A tow rope kit like this one, with a bridle and tow rope plus shackles:

http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=47158

A winch extension kit that has a winch rope extension, swing block, bridle, shackles.

http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=9166

A winch accessory kit that is basically a combo of the two kits:

http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=43928

So if we were to build a specific kit for over-landing what would you need? I figure 2 or 3 blocks, a 30 ft tow rope, a few shackles, tree saver, winch extension, anything else?

-Alex

bfdiesel

Explorer
I personally have never needed more than one snatch block at a time, so I would think two would be plenty. A winch anchor might be an option if you guys have one not every terrain has trees.

broken1

Observer
3 snatch blocks minimum if you want to be able to do the "pull yourself backwards" trick.
WinchBackwards.jpg

bfdiesel

Explorer
Did you bring all 5 of those blocks? Just asking to see if I can prove the buddy system.

Running the winch cable under the truck is the other pull yourself backwards trick (so is a hi lift). I have yet to need to do it myself, but have helped my dad once when little. It has already hit the fan if you need to go backwards this way. It means you are out by yourself.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
We had something like 12 blocks with us to teach recovery classes, so yes. Running cable under the rig is like taking a saw to anything under the vehicle and will probably not end well. I have heard of it being done and I would never attempt it.

-Alex

bfdiesel

Explorer
Nice I only have two. An old warn and a newer much heavier one I picked up new at a lifting equipment shop (rated for more than the winch x2).

As for the cable under the vehicle yes it probably is a saw either to the truck(wire) or to the line(synthetic). With luck you should only need to go back a few feet, but like I said for me it has already hit the fan at that point. If I plan on getting too hard core I make sure their are other rigs there to help. Help is invaluable at times.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
Recovery kit

My normal kit for overland is
A kinetic rope, winch extension, short and long tree strap (5 and 15) six 3/4 shackles
Two snatch blocks two sets of gloves a length of chain, a high lift synthetic rope on the winch two sets of MAxtrax and a wired remote as a back up to my wireless. And I have been in a spot where I ran out of gear and needed to borrow. So I would offer as complete as you can with a high quality bag to carry it in. I would consider lashing points on the bag as a must.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Hey Alex, I have the WE3000K kit, and love it!

Having a 2nd swing block would be handy on occasion.

I also carry a 20' chain for the times I use my Hi-lift for pulling. Rope/cable just isn't adjustable enough when you only have 36-40" of 'travel' with the standard Hi-Lift as a come-a-long.

Twice last winter we ran into a situation where we had to both pull the rig along the trail, and keep it from sliding sideways off the trail.

While 2 winches would have been nice, we only had one. So we used the Hi-Lift and a chain to hold it from sliding, while winching it along the trail.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
We had something like 12 blocks with us to teach recovery classes, so yes. Running cable under the rig is like taking a saw to anything under the vehicle and will probably not end well. I have heard of it being done and I would never attempt it.
I've done it a few times (also sideways to pull my *** end off of trees). Don't know about other vehicles, but on Land Rovers the cable will ride under the axle housings and cross members and not do any damage. It is hard on the cable though. A roller fairlead works best.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Make Your Own Kit

What I would like to see a vendor offer is a "make your own" kit. Then, a discount for more items purchased. I have looked at a lot of kits, but they all fall short in my book, due to my already having certain items, or preferring another item than what's offered.

My defacto working plan is to wait for sales. It works, is slow, and I may need an item still on my want list.

And, no, I am not ignoring forum discounts. But if there is always a discount, that's the normal price, right?

Dale

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I was referring to Endo's post:

My normal kit for overland is
A kinetic rope, winch extension, short and long tree strap (5 and 15) six 3/4 shackles
Two snatch blocks two sets of gloves a length of chain, a high lift synthetic rope on the winch two sets of MAxtrax and a wired remote as a back up to my wireless. And I have been in a spot where I ran out of gear and needed to borrow. So I would offer as complete as you can with a high quality bag to carry it in. I would consider lashing points on the bag as a must.

bfdiesel

Explorer
What I would like to see a vendor offer is a "make your own" kit. Then, a discount for more items purchased. I have looked at a lot of kits, but they all fall short in my book, due to my already having certain items, or preferring another item than what's offered.

My defacto working plan is to wait for sales. It works, is slow, and I may need an item still on my want list.

And, no, I am not ignoring forum discounts. But if there is always a discount, that's the normal price, right?

Dale

I agree. A customization kit would be way more a peeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne