Bug Screens

College Kid

Adventurer
So I am building a sleeping plateform in the rear of my D2, and have come accross a situation that has not been discussed in great detail. Which based on all the sleeping threads I found amazing.

The issue is bugs......obviously in a truck canopy you can get screens as an option, but for the rest of you in the back of SUV's what are you doing about this.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
I spent a few summers living out of the back of a limo. We bought some bug screen and cut it into pieces about the size of the upper half of the door. Every night we would roll down the windows, open the door and just shut the screen in the door. We planned on making a cleaner looking Velcro attachment, but it worked so well we never bothered.

bugnout

Adventurer
Buy some window screen, sew it up on two sides to create a bag and throw it over the door. might need some magnets or velcro on the lower side.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer

I have a pair I use, they are great. Just need a little bigger model for the weird shape of the Ex/F250 front windows. They didn't have all the product offerings when I bought mine about 4yrs ago. I think he was just starting out.

edit: Just went back to old posts, mine were by a company called magnascreen. About the same price but skeeterbeater has better sizes.

Last edited:

Swerve

I just went down to Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked up some small mesh cloth (I believe it was called "Petticoat netting") for $1.49/yard and some magnets $3-6. Added bonus is that I also have magnets around to hold down maps/papers.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
I'm sorry, WHAT??!??! :Wow1: You can't just post something like that an not give more details. There has to be a story there.

Sorry. I missed your post. I was a professional BMX instructor for 3 years. We traveled the country every summer teaching how to race bmx clinics. I traveled as far north as north Dakota and Vermont and as far south as Louisiana and Florida and every state in between. We had a stretched lincoln town car painted flat black with flames and decals. We towed a matching trailer. I guess it was a little like over landing. We even high-centered the limo once! Not that it is hard to do in a five foot stretched town car. Here is a video that sums up our travels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ilq7FDUows&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Errant

Explorer
I was going to sew up a couple of "pillow cases" of bug screen that can slip over the window frames for my DI. Just pull them on and shut the door :)

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
The issue is bugs......obviously in a truck canopy you can get screens as an option, but for the rest of you in the back of SUV's what are you doing about this.

Want a really nice set-up to keep the bugs out and keep cool too?

I made these for my 'ol 2001 Ford Excursion:
Cut two pieces of 1/4" Star-Board to about 6" to 8" in height and the width of the rear door windows. Cut a hole in each of the Star-Boards to accommodate a computer cooling fan. Wire the fans up to a rheostat switch to control speed. Close the rear door windows on the Star-Board/Fan set-up so one fan blows in and the other blows out. The cooling effect of the cross ventilation is amazing.

To keep the bugs out, buy the computer cooling fans with wire guards and attach the bug screen around the guard. Computer fans are 12 volts so wiring is no problem and they have a very small draw on the battery. Instead of Star-Board a cheap-o plastic cutting board would be a good substitute.

Swerve

My buddy has those screen door things on all of his doors. Save your money. The screen portion works as well as expected, but the magnet bit is... subpar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior