Ideal Yakima/ Thule towers for M416 to support a RTT

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Expo,

A tent is in the works and I have to move into a sprint to get the trailer ready for delivery. I'm foregoing the lid for the time being ($$$), and considering what I've seen many do for a simple and clean mounting solution.
The question is which brand and what product should be used for a proper bite onto the sides of the M416? I'm fond of Yakima but like the square bars from Thule better for mounting purposes (unless I were to find a square U-bolt small enough to clear the width of the round bars but thick enough for the load transfer). I have a set (2 units) of the Yakima Q towers not being used, but thing they're a bit low. I like what I assume the A-1 towers from Yakima would do as I might be able to get times in and out of the trailer, then again so could someone else.
The fact that I will need to cut a tail gate into the trailer is staring me in the face. A low set of towers with a tail gate and the utilization of dry bags or light (non sealed camping boxes) might work fine as there will be no direct exposure to wind driven rain.

Aaron

Last edited:

kai38

Explorer
I'm using Yakima parts and cross bars on my trailer.
132214923.vAV4yiDp.jpg

I had to bolt a 2x2 piece of angle iron on, then on top of that a 2x2 sq tube.
On top of that sits the top section of a Yakima 1A tower. The bolt runs up from the bottom to hold the round bars in place. This set ups been on the 416 for 15yrs.
132671744.miZpGzUJ.DSCF1719.JPG

28047859.10closeto6inchegainmakestireslooktoosmallnow.jpg

You might find a better picture in these pictures http://www.pbase.com/kai38/m_416_trailers

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
To reserect an old thread I have yet to do anything with mounting a tent to my trailer. But as luck would have the planets have aligned and a tent is in my future. This is a large tent and it need some support, I'm thinking 3-4 cross bars and likely Thule because they are square. Don't get me wrong I love my Yakima stuff but sqaure for a flat to flat mount seems like a good idea. The question of which towers are compatible are still in question, I searched but still don't know anything. I will ultimately have to remove the back trailer panel and replace with a tail gate so low clearance isn't an issue and adds security.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Looks like Yakima low riders might be the best option, a tailgate will have to be fabricated to access gear. The low nature of the mounts keeps security higher than a spaced mounting system though a loss of space is the compromise along with the alteration of the trailer.

OldSven

Explorer
Not sure what your setup looks like without a lid but on my trailer lid I just used some "superstrut" electrical strut from homedepot to get mine up off the lid and give it a firm surface to sit on and the stuff is cheap if this is just a "for the time being" setup...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94