Trasharoo Presents: Map and Compass Class - September 13th-14th

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Many of us are familiar with GPS units and how to find a waypoint fairly easily. But how many of us out there can really read a map properly and/or use a compass to find your bearing or relate to a map?

Compass_and_Map.jpg

Trasharoo and AdventureDuo are proud to present a class taught by our very own Expo member "FISHPOET" to understand and teach this very thing. As it is a great skill that we all should know when traveling in the back country. We are fortunate to have Doug volunteer his time for such an event.

Map And Compass Class - September 13th-14th 2011. From 6pm - 9pm

COST: $25.00 per person.

3309 E. Miraloma Ave Suite 108
Anaheim CA 92806
714-854-7292

Trasharoo & AdventureDuo will be supplying dinner for all guests and participants. We will also supply everything you need and teach the following:

• 1) Goals
  • 2) Tools and technology
  • 3) Map overview
  • 4) US PLSS
  • 5) Topo maps
  • 6) Compass overview
  • 7) Using a map and compass together
  • 8) UTM vs Lat/Lon

Trasharoo & AdventureDuo will not be profiting off of this class. Instead we will donate the entire amount of money collected to the USFS OHV Volunteer group in the San Bernardino Mountains to help keep our trails open, maintained and to protect/enforce rules and regs in our forests.

Classes are two nights. 3 hours each. 6 hour class total.

We can only accept 10 participants

To sign up, please PM me and i'll give you the details or give us a call at 714-854-7292. The spots will fill quickly.

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thanks guys, i can't pass up an opportunity like this - not to offer. Big thanks to Doug for coming on board to teach.

Ok, we only have 2 spots left. Get them while you can :D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Bump to remind everyone this class is next week!

Also, we've had late cancellations so we have (2) spots available. Please PM me right away if you want in.

FishPOET

Adventurer
Please do not purchase anything for this class.

Tuesday will be all about maps and we will give you a couple of maps to take home with you.

On Wednesday, if you have a compass please bring it with you.
If not we have enough compasses for everyone to use during the class.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Also, if everyone can bring a small notebook to write and take notes with that would be great.

PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME. THE BUSINESS COMPLEX HAS A GATE AND IT CLOSES AUTOMATICALLY AT 6PM!

FishPOET

Adventurer
We are using the National Interagency Incident Management System "Basic Land Navigation" text book as the basis of our curriculum.

NFES 2865 - PMS 475

http://www.nwcg.gov/pms/pubs/large.html#land

12 pdf downloads

We only cover about 1/2 of the curriculum in the manual due to time constraint and our needs. No need to print it. I am just letting you know where the curriculum is coming from.

I will post most of the curriculum that we will be using to this thread later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles