How important is color?

Diesel YJ

Observer
I combed through many threads hoping someone had covered this subject but I didn't see it. So how important is the color of the trailer? Mine will have food / gear / water but what concerns me is that I also will have a NORCOLD Fridge w/freezer and a NORCOLD deep Freezer mounted and running in the trailer (Solar w/ two deep cycle batts). I am looking to isntall a exhaust fan that is solar powered to reduce any heat inside. I already have the paint for a hammered bronze color but I can easily return it and go with another. I have been thinking of a desert sand color. opinions please.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I have a black trailer (4" X 4' X 2' high enclosed box) that was originally white form the builder. When I had him paint it, I asked him to leave the top white. It definitely seems to make a difference in temps inside the box.

Diesel YJ

Observer
I found someone who was shopping for a new car and put together a great way of testing this theory and results. I am thinking I might just go with pearl white or the sand color and call it a day. Visibility was another concern of mine, not only my ability to find my rig but in a rescue situation I would want it visible to everyone. I guess I need to stop thinking militarily about this where we cover and conceal everything to high visibility.

http://www.tom-morrow-land.com/tests/cartemp/index.htm

STREGA

Explorer
Colors

White is the best for reflecting heat, I've heard that grey is another color that reflects well. I would think a Sand color would be a decent choice also. Red and Black are the worst for reflecting heat, they are great at absorbing heat. I have a all white FJ Cruiser and it stays fairly cool in the sun, a friend of mine has a silver FJ and it is noticeably warmer inside his than mine even though he has a white roof, can only assume it would be even hotter if it was all silver. Another side benefit of white is that pinstriping doesn't show up as much as other colors also. I know white is boring to some, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There is a select group of people who need black vehicles, if your not in this group stay well away from this color. Not only does it show every spec of dirt and finger print, you'll need welding gloves to stop burning yourself every time you touch it.

If you are going to mount a tent on a roof rack above the trailer body then the choice of color isn't of much concern. The tent will act like a safari roof and deflect most of the solar heat.

The insides of trailers stay remarkably cool in comparison to the outside temperature, observations from trailers with roof top tents mounted on them. Fridges do put out heat during the cooling process, but we have never seen this to be an issue inside the main box.

Some of the Australian trailers mount fridges in the nose box which has a much smaller volume than the main box, and they put vents with GoreTex filters to allow for air circulation. I'm not convinced that these filters work well in the real world of Overlanding.

The issue with putting air vents in the main box for air circulation is dust and water entering the internal space. Instead of going this route I think I'd just plan on leaving a couple of inches free space around the fridge so it can breath.

"Good" color choices in my mind are white or silver. White doesn't show scratches or dirt and matches the color of any tow vehicle. It also reflects the heat. Silver is similar in properties to white but due to it's metallic component would need a top clear coat to stop oxidation. This top coat adds to the expense of painting.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The OP lives in MD ---- you guys are all giving him desert advice....

We don't camp in our trailer usually from June 'til the first cool weekend of August or September. Too hot and muggy, no matter the color of the trailer; you'd be under trees with the skeeters, spiders, & snakes anyhow.
We're concerned about staying warm and dry. And having the trailer match the truck to keep the wife happy.

Now let's talk about the right stickers.

Roadtrip2011859.jpg

Diesel YJ

Observer
Thank you all for your responses. Hilldweller, I will be taking this trailer everywhere I can think of but it will definitely see action next year when I return from the sandbox as I will have nearly 3 months of time to roam around and I plan on heading to Alaska via anywhere else I can stop along the way. I am warming up to the white color and you are right that it just blends in with dirt and everything else so I think I will go that route. There will be plenty of space for the fridge as it was on a boat it was built into a cabinet and I will have it exposed for this trip. I think I will add an aux fan when it does get a cabinet around it. I think a solar fan to run during the day would be a good insurance to help maintain a decent temp inside the trailer.

D

Deleted member 9101

I guess I need to stop thinking militarily about this where we cover and conceal everything to high visibility.

Yeah, I have the same problem, so when I repaint mine this fall I am going with a metallic charcoal grey...lol

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd make it a very light sand or khaki color then; a little easier to keep presentable.
When it comes to the fridge, think critters critters critters. I've had everything from longhorn cattle to armadillos to raccoons to bears to deer nosing around camp. Some leave easier than others; all have great a great sense of smell. Plus dust/mud intrusion into the fridge mechanicals. Dust is evil. That's the only problem I see with vents and such.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
We cover the roofs of our vehicles with a self-adhesive aluminized mylar film.

sort of like this

With this type of stuff there is virtually no solar gain at all - amazing stuff.

We used to be able to get sheets of it from Modern Plastics in Bridgeport,CT but I don't think they carry it any more.

Other than that stuff - I'd go white. You can always add a graphic to spice it up a bit. We use a reflective vinyl sign graphic from 3M that is very visible at night. We also have been wanting to try the GITD (glow in the dark) vinyl

Good luck - post pics.

Cheers,
Mark

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
There is a select group of people who need black vehicles, .... Not only does it show every spec of dirt and finger print, you'll need welding gloves to stop burning yourself every time you touch it.
Being a member of a select group of people, I'd like to add: 1)the dirt thing isn't that bad, unless your particular vehicle is the same color as the dirt you live around it's going to show...
B) when that black vehicle is cleaned and waxed it looks awesome!
and
you don't need welding gloves.....one touch of that shiny black paint is enough to learn ya not to do that again!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
For the color you are thinking of I don't think the heat issue will be significant compared to a color like white or silver. It's not as though you are considering something really dark like black or navy blue.

Something to consider is the anticipated time you might own the trailer vs. the tow vehicle. I expect to own multiple tow vehicles in the time I have my trailer. Going with a more universal color such as white might make sense if that's a consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles