Trailer with ONE wheel

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Just came back from an estate sale and bought a trailer with just one wheel. No, there is not another wheel missing, it's a one wheel trailer.

Unique old trailer orginally sold by Sears as an Allstate box trailer.It's 56" X 48" and has a two point front hitch that mounts to a bumper. I'm old enough to remember these things and they were very popular for a time especially for smaller cars.

It has an offset front spring with a fork that goes up to a swivel mounted at the center of the trailer, toward the rear. Kind a like an old motorcycle front wheel with spring forks.

I thought, at the time of making this into a bike trailer for my Vulcan, but my Transalp could pull a trailer as well......that's one option.

This thing could do some mild off roading as well. It will track in the center of the tow vehicle, so gotta keep that in mind.

Any suggestions as to what to do to it? I'll be getting with the seller on the title later as a lost title, but should be no problem. :coffeedrink:

D

Deleted member 9101

Time to buy a slick old car to pull it with

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yep, thanks, I found Singlewhhel a couple years ago trying to put a trailer together for my bike. Those single wheel units are just plain rare or $$ if you import them.

The estate sale was across the street from me, he was a retired (in his 90s) doctor who had a car hobbie. He had gotten rid of the old cars before I moved in the area but there were all kinds of old parts. I had talked to his son several times and the trailer wasn't marked for sale, but I asked and he said $25.00, I just said I'll get it when the place is cleaned out. So, he basically gave it to me.

I have also found that the tires available for that wheel are only rated for 45 to 50 mph, bummer. So, another wheel contraption, since it's like a bike fork sorta, two wheels could be mounted on the outside of the fork on an axel with some rigging, motorcycle wheels for example. That would change the entire trailer layout too.

Just wondered if anyone has had one, uses one or what they might do with it. Probably the best thing is to use it as is and just be careful or sell it to one of those collectors!

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I remember the Uncle renting one from UHaul or Nationwide back in the 60s because his little Valiant wagon was just too loaded with 4 kids plus all the luggage from a family of 6.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I bought a one-wheel trailer back around 1975 and it was close to what you describe except that it actually made up into a tiny tent camper. I had no instructions and never did figure out how to set it up and concluded there were a few missing parts. It was a collection of plywood panels, pre-bent tubing and a bunch of canvas. I believe it was imported from Germany. Eventually junked it.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey guys, I was thinking of a mini tent thing, might see how it could work with the bike. especially the TransAlp dual sport, not sure how, but I think the 650 could pull something.

Another thought was to rig up the wheel under a freighter canoe and have a square tube that a hitch can attach to at the bow. The hitch wouldnot be on a ball, just straight with a bend downward and then a bend level to slide into the receiver of a standard hitch and pin it. This would only be to pull the boat for short distances, like around a dam or spillway where the boat couldnot go. The canoe is about 500 pounds with gear/motor, not your Old Town type. You can usually get a short ride from locals if it's easy for them to accomplish.

Just trying to think outside the box! :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior