How does one get into SAR?

InAFlannel

Exploring Adventurer
I would inquire with your local Sheriffs Department as they are usually the organization that has a SAR team. Most Departments requires a rather thorough background check plus the obvious things like CPR certification, First Aide for First Responder as well as a SAR Training program with the Sheriff.

You can make yourself a little more desirable by having EMT experience. There are also a Rescue Schools out there that can give you valuable experience and skills. I have heard great things about the CMC Rescue School.

http://www.cmcrescue.com/RescueSchool

puddle

If you want SAR check into the Coast Guard, I spent 21 years out of 24 (now retired), running Search and Rescue missions from the Great Lakes to Kodiak Alaska, to California’s coast. But I am sure you can tell these were all water missions, unless you go into the Aviation field. My last three years were at a Port Security Unit (PSU), they don’t do SAR, they go to places like Iraq. If you at all consider the Coast Guard do not go into a PSU expecting to do any SAR missions. PSU’s are reserve units, so if you are looking for a part time gig, like the Coast Guard Reserve, make sure you get a garneted billet for a “Small Boat Station”. As others have stated, our county is always looking for volunteers for the Sheriff’s Search and Rescue. It is run by full time Deputies, augmented by volunteers/reserve Deputies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles