Your Camping trailer weight?

java

Expedition Leader
Im wondering what your guys custom trailers ended up weighing? Im debating between buying a m101a or building my own trailer. a m416 is too small for my needs, but im wanting to keep weight to a min, as well as costs.

The m101a is a bit bigger than i need and heavy. if i were to build my own it would be about 4x6.5, just a box. m101a is cheaper and heavy and a custom one may be a bit lighter but more expensive, that where im hoping for your input in weight.

Thanks!

URY914

Observer
Being new here and going thru these trailer build threads, I'd have say that 90% of the homebuilt trailers are WAY over built and WAY too heavy. Using 2"x2" square tubing to build a 4' x 4' trailer is just crazy. Sure it look pretty but not needed. You could easily use 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle with gussets in the corners and it would never pose a problem with the trailer being strong enough. Plus the legs of the angles allow for easy bolting up of walls, racks, boxes, lights, fenders, etc, etc.

Just an obsevation from a new guy.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Being new here and going thru these trailer build threads, I'd have say that 90% of the homebuilt trailers are WAY over built and WAY too heavy. Using 2"x2" square tubing to build a 4' x 4' trailer is just crazy. Sure it look pretty but not needed. You could easily use 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle with gussets in the corners and it would never pose a problem with the trailer being strong enough. Plus the legs of the angles allow for easy bolting up of walls, racks, boxes, lights, fenders, etc, etc.

Just an obsevation from a new guy.

FWIW -
2" x 2" x 1/4" angle = 3.19 lbs/foot
2" x 2" x .120 wall square = 3.12 lbs/foot
2" x 2" x .083 wall square = 2.16 lbs/foot

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like to dance with BIG girls!

Here is my trailer she use to weigh 1360 lbs empty,
I sent her to fat camp and came back 1080 lbs.
I would like to keep it low but I still have to add a
RTT, camp kitchen, water tank, and Propane tank,

Attachments

• DSC05175.JPG
    DSC05175.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC05174.JPG
    DSC05174.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 8
FWIW -
2" x 2" x 1/4" angle = 3.19 lbs/foot
2" x 2" x .120 wall square = 3.12 lbs/foot
2" x 2" x .083 wall square = 2.16 lbs/foot

Exactly. And the square tubing is 4-8X stronger than angle. Angle is pathetically weak. I've seen a 2x4 V-tongue bent from off-road use. And that's about ~20 times stronger than 2" L-angle.

URY914, until you've built a trailer yourself and had it withstand the rigors off-road, please reserve judgement on other's builds. If you do have a proven trailer design made from 2" angle, let's see it, please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94