Camping shower advice.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Here you go SupraTuRD. I carry the pump, hoses and shower head (kitchen sink type sprayer for this set-up) in a small Pelican...whether founded or not I was worried about permanently mounting the pump in the engine bay due to heat (and dust).

Attachments

• Helton Hot Water 2 spressomon.jpg
    Helton Hot Water 2 spressomon.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Helton Hot Water spressomon.jpg
    Helton Hot Water spressomon.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 29

bat

Explorer
spressmon do you have to wait till the vehicle comes up to temperature to get hot water.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Yes...but that typically is a 5-10 minute wait depending upon if the engine is at ambient air temp and of course what the ambient air temp is. It works great for showering at the end of a dusty day on the trail as I just use the residual heat of the engine shortly after engine shut-down. Or for more gallons of heated water I'll let the engine idle.

For immediate hot water, for instance for camp kitchen type usage, a Coleman type instant/on-demand water heater might be better suited just because its quicker if your engine is cold apart of the Helton system. But then again those units are fairly bulky...

TheJosh

Explorer
im in the process of figuring out a on board shower system also.

i plan on installing a 13-15 gallon tank in the location where my spare tire used to be. someone suggested a insulated water tank? does anyone know where i could find one? im thinking on doing a insulated tank along with a heat exchanger and a 2 pumps, one to circulated the water from the tank to the exchanger going back into the tank and the another pump from the tank to the shower system.

sapper

Adventurer
Okay getting the pump now but I am not sure what to get in reguards to the pump.

It seems there are a lot of choices when it comes to the pump but the one I like the most is this unit....

http://www.shurflo.com/files/Educat...shdown Pumps/pds-Blaster 12v 3901-2204 14.pdf

I think that if regulated to 30 psi and 5.08 liters per minute (5.57amps) should be more than enough for a shower. But I wanted advice before I purchase it to make sure. With the eccotemp L5 I don't want too much flow as to not get a hot shower but I also want enough pressure to get a decent shower.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I would go with a Flojet 03526-14A. It draws about half the amps at your needed GPM of the Shureflo pump and are very reasonably priced.

Jeff

sapper

Adventurer
I looked at that pump but I couldn't find the draw at the rated pressure. It only lists 4.4 amps at 10 PSI not the full range. It does cost less than half of the other pump I listed though.

Do you know if I can get a full data sheet anywhere for that pump? I can't find any additional info on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior