New guy and a plan

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
Hi all, new guy to the forum (fresh fish) Ha! I found this forum about 6 months ago and love it. Everybody is so positive and helpful, that's what it's all about.

My story: I moved to Oregon about a year ago from my home state of Hawaii. The idea was to purchase a 4x4 truck and a pop up camper and travel the United states, Canada, and Mexico, basically living off the grid for a year or two. I will be visiting family and friends along the way and hopefully making new friends in the process.

I have planned this for over a year and have a certain criteria as to what vehicle, camper, tools and supplies I would be needing. Although Hawaii is limited on land mass, I have had a few 4x4 trucks in the past and have done my fair share off offroading.

First thing on the agenda was to locate and purchase a truck. I was torn between a Ford and a Dodge. Both are solid vehicles, and I have always loved the body style and reliability. After much research I knew exactly what I was looking for, and a few months ago found a (one owner) 1996 Ford F350 7.3 power stroke diesel 4x4. Single cab long bed, white with tan interior. The only draw back was the miles were a little higher than I wanted (246,148). I decided to meet with the gentleman and take a look. The truck looked amazing. A few minutes later this older gentleman walks out with a three ring binder 3 inches thick with every receipt in dated order, starting with the window sticker and original bill of sale. I drove the truck to a reputable diesel mechanic for a check up. The owner of the shop knew the owner of the truck and had done repairs and maintenance in the past. He informed me the owner maintained the truck extremely well, even used the phrase (anal). A clean bill of health. Sold!

A few weeks later I was visiting my sister in Petaluma, California and came across a Craigslist add for a 1997 FWC Grandby in Sacramento. I called the gentleman and set an appointment for that afternoon. My brother in law and I set out with money in hand. The camper was in near perfect condition. We loaded and mounted it with the help of the seller and we were on our way. What luck! It seems when the stars line up everything falls into place.:victory:

Another reason I purchased this truck was the owner had done most of the upgrades already and most of what he had done I would have done the same way, with most of the same product choices. Here are a few things already on the truck.

Aftermarket front and rear bumpers.
Mild lift.
Toyo 35" open country tires.
Rancho air adjustable shocks.
Cobra CB.
Wired for ipod.
Optima red top batt. (2)
Warn locking hubs.

And a few other things I'm forgetting. I added the winch and and highlift jack shortly after I purchased the truck.
6012560965_155e61662c_m.jpg

Over the past month I have been shopping like a mad man. Here are a few things I have purchased.

Extremeaire compressor and four gallon tank.
Highlift jack and accessories.
Warn 12,000 lb winch.
Winch accessories- purchased individually (not the kit) for better product choice.
Maxtrax and mounting pins.
A few lights front and back.
6019972544_5158db6a3e_m.jpg

6019975402_4e3c45b9b8_m.jpg

6019398339_d3eefdb4b2_m.jpg

6019415649_a41ffccc1b_m.jpg

I have ordered a solar panel kit that I am waiting for. Maybe I could do a install thread when it comes in. I also have planes for a tire swing out and jerry cans to be installed in about a month. I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive.

I'm hoping I can add pictures with this first entry. I am a complete "moron" when it comes to computers, but I am learning.

Thanks for listening and looking. Any suggestions, comments or impute would be a welcome. Again, this is a great forum and I am pleased to be a part of it.
Mark

RU55ELL

Explorer
Welcome to ExPo! It looks like you can post pictures, so you are ahead of a lot of people already. :D

You already have a great start. It's nice to score a truck with a well-kept history to follow. What kind of bumper is that on the front? I like it. :)

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
Thanks for the greeting and kind words. I'm trying to figure out how to make the pictures bigger. I'm sure I will get it with a little practice. The bumper is made by Ruenel. I don't know much about the company but I do like the bumper.

blue dog

Adventurer
I want to do this same adventure, one day. Until then i will follow your trip if you set up a blog. Good luck, and you are off to a great start.

BajaSurfRig

DocBronson,

How is the Grandby mounted to your truck bed (I have the exact same truck)? I am about to go pick up a grandby and am curious the best way to go about this.

Thanks!

Halligan

Adventurer
DocBronson,

How is the Grandby mounted to your truck bed (I have the exact same truck)? I am about to go pick up a grandby and am curious the best way to go about this.

Thanks!

Don't hold your breath for an answer. This thread is almost 5 years old and the OP has not made a post in as long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz