Truck bed storage and camping platform

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and thought I would share my latest project.

I drive a Ram 3500 diesel with a Leer cab high shell. I put a lot of miles on for work (about 40-50k per year), and wanted to add functional compartmentalized storage, hide my stuff from the view of would be thieves, and leave room for sleeping inside the bed.

I almost always have a demo generator with me to show prospective customers or to do product training on, in addition to tools, etc for work. I also like to take my mountain bike with me a lot of times to get some riding in. When I escape off the beaten path, I typically tent camp, but like the ability to stay in the truck bed when the weather is bad.

When I'm home, it's not unusual to need a completely open bed to help someone move a couch, haul rocks, etc, so I wanted the capability to easily remove my storage system.

With all those requirements, here's what I came up with.

P1020723.jpg

P1020722.jpg

P1020724.jpg

P1020725.jpg

P1020728.jpg

P1020729.jpg

P1020731.jpg

The tall side storage on the right holds all my tools and a few other things. All top panels remove, except for the thin one on the far left, which just has stuff like tie-down straps, hitches, bungee cords under it, accessible only from the back with the tailgate down. Depending on what I have with me (bike, work generator, etc), I can put the correct top panels in, or leave them out. My canopy, ground tents, folding chair, and folding table all fit under the center panel. There is plenty of additional room for water, truck fluids, tow straps, jumper cables and other items, and they are all now hidden from view.
Not counting removing all the stuff, I can get the complete platform in and out in under a minute with no tools required. It is very snug and does not move when in.

I ran out of carpet, so I have to go back to Lowe's to get some more and finish securing it to the last couple top panels, do some minor detail work, and then I will be done. It works for me!

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Wow, great build. What do you do with the bike if you have the platform in, or do you just not use the top platform?

Wow, great build. What do you do with the bike if you have the platform in, or do you just not use the top platform?

Thank you. Unfortunately I can't use that part of the platform if the bike is in. I figure if I have the bike with me and stop for the night to sleep (on the platform), the bike will just have to spend the night outside...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Could you store the platform under the bike rack when you are hauling the bike, then just switch it to sleep?

Could you store the platform under the bike rack when you are hauling the bike, then just switch it to sleep?

Yes, I can still fit the platform in when I have the bike with me, just can't have it in the top position while the bike is in the truck

I forgot to mention; I already have LED strip lights mounted along the top corners on both sides of the cap which light up the inside VERY well, but I will be running a new 12V supply to the back with 12V sockets, and extra accessories wired in, such as a small fan, and a reading light. I will also put in a control panel with nice toggle switches to control everything from inside the bed. Next will be making or buying a screen enclosure to use around the rear window and tailgate when open.

Got the last of the carpet in. I am happy with the results. Lots of room inside for storage, plus the big platform area.

P1020732.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Been out traveling for work (like usual).
Here's a quick pic of the truck. I'll try to find a more interesting one.
I've got stock sized 265/70-17s on now, but going with 285/70-17 next.

P1020733.jpg

sapper

Adventurer
Okay I really like the set-up but I want more info on the Generator? Please tell me someone finally got smart and started to make units that are run from a PTO or power steering pump? Very curious.

Okay I really like the set-up but I want more info on the Generator? Please tell me someone finally got smart and started to make units that are run from a PTO or power steering pump? Very curious.

Thank you. Yes, our company makes generators that are run off PTOs, and produce 240/120V AC power ranging from 6.2kW up through 30kW. We also have systems at 6.2 and 8kW that run off an engine mounted hydraulic pump for smaller trucks with no PTO port. You can see additional info on our website at www.smartpower.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles