Duraburb Project

klmore

Adventurer
So when is she going under the knife? Love this project!

As of now the donor is still on the way to Florida. I'm waiting until the last minute to ship my Sub down there so I can use it as much as possible. Until then I'm in the process of repairing all the small things that have needed attention and I put off.

The down side about GM products is there is always something wrong. My old Land Cruiser was tip top at 50k miles and never required any thing other than a oil change. The Suburban seems to always require some kind of repair. Right now the lift gate lock actuator is not working and my rear window sprayer quit spraying. Just little things, but they add up.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
I know this to be true, window regulators, electric seat functions, stereo, etc.. Gm builds a great truck but they will keep you on your toes with the details, that said some how I have come to love these things. I just traded in my tahoe and picked up a 02 quad cab, short bed, 2500 Dmax. I am just getting used to the diesel and it is a different animal, the thing is just a brute! I took a while to get used to the noise of the thing, it sounds like the pistons are trying to escape! lol. You are going to quite pleased and the envy of every well versed GM guy you bump into. (me included):elkgrin:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I have thought about that too. Do you have any more input on the subject? I have also thought about doing a SAS conversion with a Dana 60, but that would be later after the engine swap.

If you get a manual shift transfercase from behind a transmission that matches to the trans you will be installing it is a bolt for bolt swap. I believe the Allison 1000 and ZF S6-650 manual transmissions behind the 8.1L gas and Duramax engines both have the same spline count and input shaft size (possibly even 4L80E's behind 6.0L gas engines in the HD trucks as well). Obviously, you will need to install the shifter assembly and do some wiring mods to work the front axle disconnect if you keep the IFS but it shouldn't be hard for the guys that are doing your engine swap. If your guys can swap in a Duramax they should be able to figure out the manual transfercase deal with ease.

I have seen this done on other GMT800 trucks before where they were able to incorporate the manual shift lever below the center console and still make it look “right”. The Autotrac electric shift tcase front drive shaft will definitely need to be replaced with one from a non-Autocrap though. Good luck. You sure have a nice looking Sub! Not too sure I would pay someone for a Duramax swap, actually not too sure I would spend money on a diesel swap at all but each to their own. Good luck. Look forward to the build.

klmore

Adventurer
I have seen this done on other GMT800 trucks before where they were able to incorporate the manual shift lever below the center console and still make it look “right”.

Larry if you can point me in the direction of where you have seen this in the past I would like to check into it more.

Thanks.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry if you can point me in the direction of where you have seen this in the past I would like to check into it more.

Thanks.

Let try to remember, as it has been a while. If I remember correctly it was a LT Silverado with the same leather buckets and center console as the SUVs. It was either 67-72chevytrucks.com or pirate4x4.com like a year or so ago.

klmore

Adventurer
Lights

I need a recommendation on some off road lights for the ARB. The IPF lights I have now aren't even as bright as my high beams.

I purchased a Warn M12000 winch on Friday and will have pictures of the install later this week.

I also ordered a Mag-Hytec diff. cover and transmission pan. As well as a full SSBC brake kit with slotted rotors and new pads. I don't know the condition of the brakes on the donor truck and I thought is was best to start off with some new brakes.

brasskey

Observer
I need a recommendation on some off road lights for the ARB. The IPF lights I have now aren't even as bright as my high beams.

I recommend the Lightforce 240 Blitz. I got them from Sierra Expeditions. I'll take some more pictures if you're interested. Only thing to note is that I did use about a 1" square tube extension to make the lights sit a little higher off the mounts.

IMG_0437-1.jpg

klmore

Adventurer
The donor truck made it to Florida yesterday. It passed the inspection process and is running with the help of new batteries and ECM. Eric is finishing the trucks he has in production now and will have an opening in a couple of weeks for my Suburban.

The parts have started to come in for my built and I'm like a kid in a candy store. The ssbc brake kit is on back order, but should be in by the time I ship out my Sub. I'm trying to find time to mount the new winch and lights. I also purchased all the 2500HD sheet metal to install on my truck. I hope to have that painted in the next week or so. I'll have pictures of the painting process soon.

Now I'm looking at the Pure Performance SAS conversion kit for a Dodge front axle. At this point I'm going to hold off, but it looks like a good kit.

Last edited:

klmore

Adventurer
Update.

I got some new Lightforce lights in and I'm still waiting on the brake kit to get here.

The front end sheet metal will be painted by the end of the week. Eric said he wants my truck some time next week and is trying to arrange the shipping in the next few days.

I was planning on loading the ARB with the new winch and lights prior to shipping the truck out, but all of that has to be pushed back to when I receive it back from Duraburb.

klmore

Adventurer
Video

Here is a video Eric sent me on the condition of my donor. So far he is great at keeping me informed about the process.

I'm going to my camp this weekend with the family and I'll try to get some pics of my Sub with the trailer. I'm still waiting to hear back from the transport company on shipping.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your build

I suggest strongly you use GM's up-fitter manuals when undertaking such a major conversion.

I've been taken a long hard look at your burb pictures and IMHO see those big tires are not centered in the wheel wells front or rear and the tires look like they would hit the body work over rough terrain unless of course the suspension is so stiff there is little or no travel so they'll never hit. Stiff suspension will beat the snot out of the vehicle and you over time.

Lots of lifts out there don't keep the frt/rear differential (s) in the proper location as in when you go up higher the diff moves forward at rear and rearward in front without proper fitment, the diff needs to be moved back so wheels are centered in wheels well.

If I remember right, 35" tires fit that vehicle w/o lift by using cutout fender flares. From here custom mods to front foot wells and rear wheel wells would allow 37's.

Gear ratios can be taller w/diesel with a custom built billet multi-clutch torque converter w/say 3.1 torque multiplication.

IMHO, you'd be better served w/P-400 6.5td w/built 4L80e w/o need for body lifts.

Anyway, good luck w/build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles