Tires for 2007 CTD with Caravan Camper

Wyohab

Observer
I need to get tires and wheels bought very soon for my 2007 CTD regular cab before I send it for suspension / front end modification. I’d really like a 35x10 E rated 17in tire, but can not find anything suitable. I am about to reluctantly settle for shorter and fatter Toyo OC MT’s in 285/75/17. Before I pull the trigger on these, I thought I’d query those on this board for recommendations more closer to my view of ideal (slightly taller and more narrow). I will have about 3inches of lift when the suspension / front end mods are complete.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend's truck is a Carli-equipped 2007 2500 regcab 4wd w/flatbed mounted popup. The rig weighs 10,700# wet and fueled. He airs down his 285-75-17 Toyo AT's to 30 psi and has tractored through miles and miles of deep Baja silt on the central Baja coast. In addition,the tires have survived hundreds of miles in the same area of moderate sand,mud and lots of rock. To date,no flats or structural failures. Stock,polished,forged rims.

Toyo offers a unique sized 285-75-18 with a huge payload capacity if you want to go with new rims. 35 x 11.50 x 18.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've been testing the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors at work and love them. They're a bit squishy for the first 5,000 miles, so put them on before winter so you get them broken in before it gets slick.

But those don't go up to 315, you'd have to get the even better Duratracs.

Why not look into 315/70-17 and 305/70-17's? The extra width helps load capacity and those are easy to find in 10ply. Those will fit on stock 8" wheels as well.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
First, I have a set of the Toyo in 285/75-18 and really like them on a 250 diesel. However, I also wanted a bit taller and found some 37/12.50-17 GS-As which are E rated as they were stock on later H-1s. I bought a take off set of stock alloys, 2.5" front spacer and 1" rear add a leaf for no rubbing. I realize one option is shorter and one taller, but shared the same frustration....

Wyohab

Observer
Thanks for the info guys.

Rovertrader: What width are you using with your 285/75-18. I note that Toyo recommends an 8in wheel, and I'm having a hard time finding any 18x8's. Any suggestions for where I might source suitably rated black steel 18x8's for a 2007 2500?

Given that I have plenty of clearance (can run 37in without problems) are there any downsides to moving up to the 285/75-18 from the 285/75-17?

DT75FLH

Adventurer
A quick check on toyos site shows that the OC MT in 285/75/17 is 3195# @ 80 psi

the larger 35x12.50/17 carrys 3640# @ 65 psi ..

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
not positive, but stock alloys for the 18 and 17s. I also have 37" KM2s on the PW on stock alloys. I can check the door sills for the widths...

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm running my second set of 305-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and have loved them (so much that I bought a second set). I got 45k out of the first set and still had @3/16" tread left. Load rating is around 3600# at 65psi. I dont' have any suspension mods other than airbags but would like a leveling kit, mostly for looks and stance.

Just something to think about.

Here was a thread I put on DTR a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_3554 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3554 (Medium).JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 20

RoyJ

Adventurer
I'm running my second set of 305-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and have loved them (so much that I bought a second set). I got 45k out of the first set and still had @3/16" tread left. Load rating is around 3600# at 65psi. I dont' have any suspension mods other than airbags but would like a leveling kit, mostly for looks and stance.

Just something to think about.

Here was a thread I put on DTR a while back.

Be careful that with a camper on the back, a leveling kit will not be "level", you may end up with a pitchup kit! Or be forced to run high pressure in the bags.

Just MHO, I think your truck looks great the way it is, and I won't change a thing. Unless you want more offroad bottoming out protection, in which case go with a Carli/Lorenz/Thuren type suspension with HD damping.

My personal taste in trucks is fit the biggest tires on the lowest suspension, and putting every heavy item as low as possible, for superior center of gravity. This same concept allows those big tall Unimogs to drive on incredible side slopes.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Be careful that with a camper on the back, a leveling kit will not be "level", you may end up with a pitchup kit! Or be forced to run high pressure in the bags.

Just MHO, I think your truck looks great the way it is, and I won't change a thing. Unless you want more offroad bottoming out protection, in which case go with a Carli/Lorenz/Thuren type suspension with HD damping.

My personal taste in trucks is fit the biggest tires on the lowest suspension, and putting every heavy item as low as possible, for superior center of gravity. This same concept allows those big tall Unimogs to drive on incredible side slopes.
Excellent point on the cog issue. Lorenz offers a 6% stronger 2" lift front coil which raises up the front minimally to give you some more travel and help handling. Bear in mind that they are not powdercoated and must be rattlecanned prior to installation.

My '07 2500 must have come with the weakest pos factory coils offered. My 1800# Northstar completely overwhelmed the stock suspension. I bottomed the front suspension @ 15 mph on the rain culverts running perpendicular on neighborhood surface streets. The stock shocks are designed to give an unladen truck a nice ride at the dealership. Sign here please. Aftermarket was the answer.

Scoutman

Explorer
my stock suspension is very soft in the front and I bottom it out every time I come off a speed bump in my work parking lot (going VERY slow). Just think of what it would do offroad. :Wow1: I have airbags in the rear and pump them up to keep the camper sway and bounce to a minimum. This vehicle is first a daily driver, second a tow rig, and third an expedition adventure vehicle. I don't plan on a lot of extreme offroad driving with it, especially with the camper on. I have other vehicles for that.

So lorenz doesn't coat their springs? I was looking at their leveling coils and bilstein shocks for a pretty decent price.

Thread Hijack over. :elkgrin:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
He's using some Ebach's in some applications,but mine weren't. I had the 23% coils which were too stiff. His 6% would be just right IMO for our trucks with the camper load. A call to him is in order. The stockers are no pc'd either.Carli advertises theirs as being 15% less load capacity than stock and my Thuren's proved to be a dab too soft for me. I got a deal on some Kore VR's which are working well. My front axle load is 4400# which isn't that far off of a QCLB,but it's the leverage of the camper over the body that plays in.

I just installed a Hellwig swaybar which made a huge difference in the handling. Cut the lean enormously. Cheap,and an easy install. Sorry,off topic again.

Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer
Didn't realize the stock Dodge suspension is that weak. I'm guessing it's the OEM shocks that lack damping?

I remember reason on Ram owner who put just the 6% coils on, with stock front shocks, and he bottomed out all over the place, even worse than stock, and that's with an empty trucks. This led to to think the 6% coils are actually softer than stocks. Once he put on the Bilstein 5100s, all was well.

I wonder how well a set of 5100s would work with the stock springs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz