Square-body Suburban tire carrier?

Erik N

Adventurer
Does someone have a link for a good solution for mounting the spare outside the vehicle? I have an 88 Suburban w/ barn doors.
I saw a pic somewhere her of an E350 that had a carrier that spanned half the width of the rear, allowing the LH door to open.

Mods feel free to move this wherever it should be.

Thanks!

Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
You could put it on the front using a GM factory spare holder, like the Chalets. As hot as it got in Phoenix in the summer, I didn't have an overheating problem with the tire up front.

tire carrier.jpg

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Sorry, I don't hang out on this side of the Forum, but I saw the question and thought I might throw this out
Erik, are you just wanting to mount a spare tire on the back of one of the doors?
A bracket can be made to mount to one for your 88 doors by making a brace that goes from the hinge plate across to the door to the latch area.
Many of the old 60's Vans did it this way.

Here's another idea!

Look at the tire carrier mount 1st Gen Isuzu Troopers use. They bolt on through the door panel. Would be easy to reinforce your back door for the weight if all you want is to mount a spare tire. They look like they have the same contour of your Burbs rear doors. I have some out in the shop if you want to see a picture of one! I use these for mounting my spares on my trailers.

Lots of other options too!

Erik N

Adventurer
The reason I want to move the spare is because I plan on upgrading from the stock 265/75/16 (31-3/4" diameter) to 255/85/16 (33" diameter), and that size won't fit in the rear nacelle inside the truck.

I don't think mounting it on the door will work for several reasons. First, the door is narrower than 32" (truck is not here to measure), and second a tire there would interfere with the door's ability to swing over 90 degrees open.

Does someone have a link for a good solution for mounting the spare outside the vehicle? I have an 88 Suburban w/ barn doors.
I saw a pic somewhere her of an E350 that had a carrier that spanned half the width of the rear, allowing the LH door to open.

Mods feel free to move this wherever it should be.

Thanks!

If I had Barn doors I would do what the Chevy (and other) vans do:
tire-carrier-van.jpg

You might even be able to use one from a van. They just mount to the hinge, so it should be plenty strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior