Resealing mushrooms for camping?

INSAYN

Adventurer
I am heading to the Oregon Alvord Desert area next week for a bit over two weeks of exploring. I am not taking any kind of refrigeration, ice or dry ice either. All food is add water, butter, or oil and cook, bake, or fry.

We plan bake pizza a few times in the Bemco backpacker oven. I love non dehydrated mushrooms and olives from a can on my pizza's, and have a dilemma to figure out.

The small cans 2.5 oz olives, and 4 oz cans of mushrooms are too big for two small 8" diameter pizzas. I figure I could make 4 pizza's with just two cans of each olives/mushrooms.

My question is this.....if I were to split each can in half and put into 4 individual food saver bags, freeze solid and then seal, would they be safe to eat if left sealed but unrefrigerated during my trip? I'm sure the outside air temps will be close to 90ºF for a lot of the trip, but imagine that the temps will dip down cold at nice in some places.

I really hate to crack a can open and not be able to use it all in one setting? I can dehydrate and seal if that is my only choice. Any thoughts here? :chef:

Ted_Z

Adventurer
Buy some dried mushrooms at your local asian market. ****aki are my favorite. As for the leftover olives might I suggest adding some vodka and a splash of vermouth :)

85CUCV

Adventurer
Olives. Maybe with the high salt content. I think trying to reseal canned mushrooms and carrying them in 90 degree temps would invite disaster. I'd dehydrate or by fresh and carry them.

Dan

INSAYN

Adventurer
After I posted this, I Googled the concept and found a lot of chatter about botulism being a big potential, thus will prompt me just crack open a fresh can and bury my 8" pizza with lotsa mushrooms. No point in tossing out perfectly good mushrooms because there's too many. :chef:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You could look up a recipe for chicken marsala (using unrefridgerated packaged chicken breast) and make that as a main course to go with the pizza which would be a side course. Chicken marsala uses as many mushrooms as you want to put on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94