Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Wheeler mag winch shootout

I wonder why you never see a Hydraulic winch put in these test?

Quote Originally Posted by wardrow View Post
    I wonder why you never see a Hydraulic winch put in these test?
    Because they are better than electric and no one argues about it.
    Last edited by bfdiesel; 08-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

Better as in stronger? Sure but also much slower, require the rig to be running, and can be more difficult to install.

-Alex
    10% discount on Master-Pull Products

www.MasterPull.com
    www.amsteelblue.com -Best prices on genuine Amsteel Blue and KERR ropes

Official Winch Line of W.E.Rock - Official Recovery Gear for the 2010 and 2011 Griffin King of the Hammers - Official Recovery Gear of Cal Neva Extreme - Official Recovery Gear of Area BFE

Facebook

Here is another way to do a winch test: Ultimate 12v Winch Test

Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

Quote Originally Posted by unrealtrip View Post
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...out/index.html

That has got to be one of the most biased reviews I've read in a long time. I like WARN and all, but the WARN failed every single test, yet they gave it first place. In fact, the only two winches that didn't have a catastrophic failure were ranked 3rd and 4th place. Most amazingly, the $330 fourth place winch, beat out the $1500 1st place winch across the board.
    Is it really a failure when the winch fails at twice it's rated load? Sounds like they may have been deliberately trying to test to destruction. Why didn't they test all the winches to twice their rated load? If they had they might have had some more catastrophic failures.

I think the biggest issue I have is they don't adequately explain their testing methodology, so it leaves me with a bunch of questions about whether it was a well designed set of tests.

Pretty clear they rated the Warn higher across the board in their subjective evaluation, and that made up for a few shortcomings in the performance tests. If you wanted to bias your choice purely towards performance it looks like the T-Max would be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by cnynrat View Post
    Is it really a failure when the winch fails at twice it's rated load?
    Destructive testing for review should not be completed past stall. Stall is the indicator of the winch's capacity for 'self destruction'. While it might be interesting or worth the OEM to perform tests at beyond stall, it serves little purpose to the consumer and confuses the result.

If a winch destroys itself even past the rated capacity (i.e. 9000lbs), but before a stall, it is a fail- pure and simple.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brady View Post
    Here is another way to do a winch test: Ultimate 12v Winch Test
    Wow, now that is a real test.

Cheesy test in a cheesy magazine yes...but media bias isn't what has made my Warn serve me well for the past 15 years. Long term I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3, Warn, Superwich or Ramsey. It'll be interesting to see where some of these less expensive no name brands will be in 15-20 years. Only time will tell.

A winch is a safety device. You are better off not having one than buying a cheap one. As mentioned, buy from Warn, Superwinch and Ramsey. They are the only companies innovating, so if they go out of business, the cool stuff stops being developed.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Pull View Post
    Better as in stronger? Sure but also much slower, require the rig to be running, and can be more difficult to install.

-Alex
    I am not an expert here so I'm not trying to sound like a pom-pus ****. Can some of you more knowledgeable recovery experts please teach me. Why is having a slower winch a bad thing? every situation I have had to recover, I though a slow steady pace seamed quite safe. Why is leaving your vehicle running a bad thing? I don't really think an electric which is going to run for to long with out an alternator. I here these stories that with an electric winch you can up-right your self even with the engine dead. I can't even imagine how you do that with just one line and how you would have to have several pulleys and just the right anchor points. I do not discount that it could be done but how? If there is a vid some place I would love to see it.

Again, I am just looking to learn from others.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast