Four Wheeler mag winch shootout

lowenbrau

Explorer
If they had run the tests in reverse ( Ie the load test first and the immersion last ) the results may have been completely different.

The article does show what a pile of junk most electric winches are. The trauma of being removed from the shipping box, being dunked in water and being stalled out killed most of them...shameful

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Biased for sure. I love Warn winches and the customer service that comes with them BUT based on the test if a winch broke AND is the most expensive how can it be rated #1?
I love my 8274...30 years old and running strong with no issues...can't beat that.
Darrell

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Better as in stronger? Sure but also much slower, require the rig to be running, and can be more difficult to install.

-Alex

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is another way to do a winch test: Ultimate 12v Winch Test

Winch_Test%2034.jpg

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/129_1107_massive_multi_winch_shootout/index.html

That has got to be one of the most biased reviews I've read in a long time. I like WARN and all, but the WARN failed every single test, yet they gave it first place. In fact, the only two winches that didn't have a catastrophic failure were ranked 3rd and 4th place. Most amazingly, the $330 fourth place winch, beat out the $1500 1st place winch across the board. :coffee:

Is it really a failure when the winch fails at twice it's rated load? Sounds like they may have been deliberately trying to test to destruction. Why didn't they test all the winches to twice their rated load? If they had they might have had some more catastrophic failures.

I think the biggest issue I have is they don't adequately explain their testing methodology, so it leaves me with a bunch of questions about whether it was a well designed set of tests.

Pretty clear they rated the Warn higher across the board in their subjective evaluation, and that made up for a few shortcomings in the performance tests. If you wanted to bias your choice purely towards performance it looks like the T-Max would be worth a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles