Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: show us your truck bed trailers

Default show us your truck bed trailers

this thread is for posting pics of only trailers made out of truck beds. preferably showing it in use while camping or on expeditions, design features, etc.

hoping this takes off as i think it is a good alternative to the more expensive camp trailers. also looking for ideas to incorporate into my theoretical ranger based camping trailer.

i would like to have a picture posted with every post if possible. thanks in advance for your participation.

OOH! I think I'm going to like this thread.

So, I'll start off, even though I don't have mine done yet. It's a work in progress, and really, only about 50% complete at the time of this post.

This is the trailer on it's maiden voyage. A simple shake-down dump-run to make sure everything works well. As it turned out, modifications had to be made as the trailer coupling failed.

This isn't the normal vehicle that will pull this trailer. When completed, it will be pulled by a matching (nearly identical) truck of the same era. Here's a picture of the tow rig...

Current plans for the trailer is to make a home-made canopy with a roof-top-tent. Plans are in work at the moment, and the build will begin soon. Of course, everything will be documented.
    Brian -
    1960 Chevy Apache K10 (restored)
    1960 Chevy Long bed stepside expedtion trailer

I don't have one yet but have been pondering the idea of finding an aluminum utility bed for a mid-size pickup to build into a trailer, so maybe I'll see something along those lines here! Can't wait to see more pics!
    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

'03 GMC Sierra Overlander Build In Progress

'98 K2500 Suburban Build Sold...*sniffle*

Born to Venture Blog | My Flickr Photos

Great thread Idea! My Dad has an old Camp Trailer built out of an old 50's era Ford he has not used in years I'm trying to talk him out of to pull behind my Quadravan :-)

Not sure if this is exactly what you meant, but here's mine as it sits now...

And since it always get's asked, the utility bed is all Aluminum and weighs in at about 375 empty (sans frame/tent/etc.)

Don

-
    Last edited by elmo_4_vt; 08-11-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    '96 Bronco and Custom Toy-Hauler Trailer

That's sweet! A utility bed, made into a trailer. Very functional.
    Brian -
    1960 Chevy Apache K10 (restored)
    1960 Chevy Long bed stepside expedtion trailer

I love it Elmo, that's very nice.

Default Bring them on, I want some ideas

I have been considering this type of rig for a very long time. I was just looking around at some pick-up trailers for sale the other day. I will be checking this thread daily. BTW, Brian,the Apache is very nice, love the old Chevys. Elmo, yours is sort of the direction I would like to go. Very nice set up.

Kevin

Default A few I found

Here are a few I found, None set up for camping.
    I was going to build a matching trailer for my 2002 GMC Sierra
    when I saw that 6.5 pick up beds started at $1,100.00 local to me
    I changed my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like Elmo, my current build is an old utility trailer. I estimate the mini-truck fiberglass tub to be 30+ yrrs old. The frame is custom ( thanks Corbin), and I added the rack to host the RTT (aka the kid's loft). The passenger side is turning into the galley. It'll have hot/cold water,16 gall tank, propane, frig and stove. I splurged for matching paint. Turned out nice.

Currently struggling with the axle and tires. I really want van/trailer to have matching lug patterns. They don't make the van's KMC rims on a 170x8lug anymore. Finally found a pair of blanks in Cal, and am paying too much to have them drilled. Next, they don't sell a 170mm hub for trailers. Ok, found some 6.5" to 170mm adapters today. Add another $100. Next I learn the 8 lug axles are a min rating of 5000lbs. That's more than double what I need. Irked I didn't do this homework sooner. Might have just opted for a 5 lug trailer and 2 different spares. Anyone heard of a 5 lug to 8 lug adapter?

So while building custom trailers is great fun, it has it's challenges.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rolling Photog in Phx, Az
    2008 Quigley e-150
    Expo Utility Trailer Build

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast