show us your truck bed trailers

bftank

Explorer
this thread is for posting pics of only trailers made out of truck beds. preferably showing it in use while camping or on expeditions, design features, etc.

hoping this takes off as i think it is a good alternative to the more expensive camp trailers. also looking for ideas to incorporate into my theoretical ranger based camping trailer.

i would like to have a picture posted with every post if possible. thanks in advance for your participation.

Pooch72

Adventurer
OOH! I think I'm going to like this thread.

So, I'll start off, even though I don't have mine done yet. It's a work in progress, and really, only about 50% complete at the time of this post.

0709111514a.jpg

This is the trailer on it's maiden voyage. A simple shake-down dump-run to make sure everything works well. As it turned out, modifications had to be made as the trailer coupling failed.

This isn't the normal vehicle that will pull this trailer. When completed, it will be pulled by a matching (nearly identical) truck of the same era. Here's a picture of the tow rig...

magic.jpg

Current plans for the trailer is to make a home-made canopy with a roof-top-tent. Plans are in work at the moment, and the build will begin soon. Of course, everything will be documented.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
I don't have one yet but have been pondering the idea of finding an aluminum utility bed for a mid-size pickup to build into a trailer, so maybe I'll see something along those lines here! Can't wait to see more pics!

Great thread Idea! My Dad has an old Camp Trailer built out of an old 50's era Ford he has not used in years I'm trying to talk him out of to pull behind my Quadravan :)

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Not sure if this is exactly what you meant, but here's mine as it sits now...

0516001558.jpg

img_5797.jpg

img_5812.jpg

And since it always get's asked, the utility bed is all Aluminum and weighs in at about 375 empty (sans frame/tent/etc.)

Don

-

Last edited:

mac in mo

Bring them on, I want some ideas

I have been considering this type of rig for a very long time. I was just looking around at some pick-up trailers for sale the other day. I will be checking this thread daily. BTW, Brian,the Apache is very nice, love the old Chevys. Elmo, yours is sort of the direction I would like to go. Very nice set up.

Kevin

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A few I found

Here are a few I found, None set up for camping.
I was going to build a matching trailer for my 2002 GMC Sierra
when I saw that 6.5 pick up beds started at $1,100.00 local to me
I changed my mind.

Attachments

• kako3037.jpg
    kako3037.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 487
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 446
  • truck bed trailer.jpg
    truck bed trailer.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 593
  • trailer_and_truck_002_detail.jpg
    trailer_and_truck_002_detail.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 406

loren85022

Explorer
Like Elmo, my current build is an old utility trailer. I estimate the mini-truck fiberglass tub to be 30+ yrrs old. The frame is custom ( thanks Corbin), and I added the rack to host the RTT (aka the kid's loft). The passenger side is turning into the galley. It'll have hot/cold water,16 gall tank, propane, frig and stove. I splurged for matching paint. Turned out nice.

Currently struggling with the axle and tires. I really want van/trailer to have matching lug patterns. They don't make the van's KMC rims on a 170x8lug anymore. Finally found a pair of blanks in Cal, and am paying too much to have them drilled. Next, they don't sell a 170mm hub for trailers. Ok, found some 6.5" to 170mm adapters today. Add another $100. Next I learn the 8 lug axles are a min rating of 5000lbs. That's more than double what I need. Irked I didn't do this homework sooner. Might have just opted for a 5 lug trailer and 2 different spares. Anyone heard of a 5 lug to 8 lug adapter?

So while building custom trailers is great fun, it has it's challenges.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313128110.157402.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313128110.157402.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 908

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Loren85022: I think Ford and the aftermarket wheel companies conspired to change the bolt patterns to sell more wheels.
The 8 bolt hubs were the same 8 on 6.5 for ages then ford threw a wrench into the mix. I don't think you will find any 5 to 8 lug adapters
due to liability issues. There is always some CNC operator who could use cash? The trailer looks great keep us posted on the progress.
Mark

austintaco

Explorer
This was Jeff's (JSMarine's) trailer until I bought it from him. The picture is one I borrowed from his write up.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50754-Toyota-truck-bed-trailer?highlight=toyota+truck+bed
pic:
attachment.php

I had previously bought a crappy truck bed trailer that I would have tried to build like this, but the bed had too much rot to save.

I plan to swap the axle out for a 6 lug trailer axle at some point and run 255/85/16's to match the tow vehicle. I might cut the lower skirt of the rocker panels to clean up the truck lines like this:
083fedec.jpg

I am not sure what my plans are after that. It's usually just me, the future Mrs. Austintaco, and our two dogs, so we don't really need a trailer to camp. We will use it for hauling decomposed granite for our back yard work this Fall, and if I decided to take a trip back to Big Bend with my buds, we can use the trailer to hold our bikes and gear.

I want to keep the trailer versatile.

java

Expedition Leader
OOH! I think I'm going to like this thread.

So, I'll start off, even though I don't have mine done yet. It's a work in progress, and really, only about 50% complete at the time of this post.

0709111514a.jpg

i think i saw you in bellevue last week maybe? i remember the trailer. its TALL!!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
truck bed trailers

Here are a few I found.
On Flicker there is a page or two about pick up trailers.
Anouther is Matching Trailers.

Attachments

• trailer_and_truck_002_detail.jpg
    trailer_and_truck_002_detail.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 208
  • truck bed trailer.jpg
    truck bed trailer.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 223
  • kako3037.jpg
    kako3037.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 215
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 201

Pooch72

Adventurer
i think i saw you in bellevue last week maybe? i remember the trailer. its TALL!!

this is pretty wild. My trailer isn't yet licenced, so I had to get a 3 day trip permit so I could use it during my move. Oddly enough, it was last week. I used the trailer. It was piled high. and, I drove through Bellevue! And, it was hooked up to the Tahoe.

I must say, you are an observant "Expeditionist"! (not sure if that's a word... but I'm coining that term if it isn't)

You're right. It's TALL. 37" tires, 13.5"wide. 4" lift springs. You make the call...

DSCN1698.jpg

Hopefully, by the end of summer, I'll have it completed enough to go down to the State Patrol for an official inspection, and I can get it licenced and registerd. Looking forward to that day. Until then.... it sits in my driveway, just dreaming of dirt roads and the great outdoors.

Keep an eye out for me. I'll be towing this monster soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles