show us your truck bed trailers

94monster

Observer
Just wanted to add some pics of my TBT. Got it about a month ago for $140 off of craigslist. It's a '74 Chevrolet C20. The bed was pretty beat up so I'm "lining" it with plywood to make it a little nicer/easier to clean out. Put some wheels/tires I had leftover from my montero on it and added a tongue jack and safety cables. Plan is to use it as a utility trailer and to haul camping gear for the family. I pulls nicely behind my Landcruiser and it's been fun to work on.the first pic is the first day I had it home, my wife was not impressed...IMG_4192.jpgIMG_2528.JPGIMG_4359.jpg

MudWaspSR5

Looks nice. Was the bed really beat up? It looks like you installed 3/4" plywood which is ~70lbs a sheet. Personally I would have just rolled in some bedliner coating and put down 1/4" sheet rubber to save weight. And if using plywood I would not go over 1/2" to also save weight. With the cavities created between the wood and sheet metal I would install drop down doors so you could still use the cavities for storage. Nice score at $140.

94monster

Observer
Looks nice. Was the bed really beat up? It looks like you installed 3/4" plywood which is ~70lbs a sheet. Personally I would have just rolled in some bedliner coating and put down 1/4" sheet rubber to save weight. And if using plywood I would not go over 1/2" to also save weight. With the cavities created between the wood and sheet metal I would install drop down doors so you could still use the cavities for storage. Nice score at $140.

The bed was just beat up enough to be annoyingly not flat, there were also a couple small gashes in the bed which I filled in. The gaps between the floor and the plywood were maybe an inch deep in a couple of places so having drop down doors wouldn't gain much. I went with 23/32's plywood for durability, yeah it's heavy but I'm also using the trailer for hauling rock for my yard and other stuff and just figured if I used something a little thicker/heavier I wouldn't have to worry about it much. That said now that the wood is in there I don't really want to mess it up. Planning to get a canopy for it so I can put bikes and all the gear in it and keep it all dry and locked up.

Chili

Explorer
Finally had some work done on my trailer (just picked it up this morning). Had the tongue straightened and extended. Added a receiver on the front so I can switch between ball and pintle. Most importantly, added an adjustable rack for my RTT.

Since I last updated I also swapped the truck axle for trailer (spring over axle), put on matching wheels and tire size with my suburban.

I have to do a little more work on it this weekend so I will get more pictures then.

0d1fa78e51bf3c692be2ed149fb7a1c3.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I almost snagged the bed off a 1975 Yota to build a trailer out of this weekend.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Are these truck bed plus frame heavier than a regular trailer built in a similar configuration ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostshaper

Thanks, this is our first trip with the trailer, and we're already tired of unloading our gear to sleep in it (2 young sons, 2 dogs). It might show up in the classifieds soon by the the end of our trip.

We drove the stretch of beach from Gearhardt, Oregon north. No beach camping, unfortunately

Last edited:
Build thread coming

I appreciate all the value I have gotten from these threads. Stay tunes for my toyota 4runner bed build... I need to figure out how to add pictures too.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Nice trailer, ghostshaper! What truck bed you running? Sorry to hear it's not working out for ya, but both the truck and trailer are loaded with gear?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
It's been a few months and much work has been done like the awning and front storage rack, so here's a few updated pictures of mine.

2z8bN4Y.jpg

nXVSbRd.jpg

HzwPik7.jpg

McS7Z8l.jpg

2xYERwn.jpg

u6CJa3y.jpg

d7e9Ak6.jpg

JverAoZ.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a few months and much work has been done like the awning and front storage rack, so here's a few updated pictures of mine.

2z8bN4Y.jpg

nXVSbRd.jpg

HzwPik7.jpg

McS7Z8l.jpg

2xYERwn.jpg

u6CJa3y.jpg

d7e9Ak6.jpg

JverAoZ.jpg

I like that setup! The awing with side curtains would make a nice place for a couple of cots. Kids can sleep in the RTT and grandma and I can sleep on the cots. Makes it easier for us to roll out in the mornings. We have found ourselves to old to be active and still sleeping on the ground. You youngins get to enjoy the easy life for now.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I like that setup! The awing with side curtains would make a nice place for a couple of cots. Kids can sleep in the RTT and grandma and I can sleep on the cots. Makes it easier for us to roll out in the mornings. We have found ourselves to old to be active and still sleeping on the ground. You youngins get to enjoy the easy life for now.

Thanks! We've actually thought about it for my girlfriend's friend who wants to camp, but doesn't have a tent, where we could but her in the awning area to sleep on a cot. I also opted to get the floor with the sides, but have yet to use or try it (I need to tweak the awning placement), but would make things that much more comfortable for that case as well.

On the first time out a few weeks ago, we decided to try a shower setup in it.
n9mH1sk.jpg

ghostshaper

Nice trailer, ghostshaper! What truck bed you running? Sorry to hear it's not working out for ya, but both the truck and trailer are loaded with gear?

It's a first gen tundra bed, same as the truck. I replaced the axle w a 3500# and custom ordered the length to match the track of the truck wheels. The frame isn't the tundra frame, but from a 4x7' trailer.

We also have the foxwing awning, which is nice to stash all of our gear in while we sleep, just sucks setting/packing up. We're on a month long trip, so we have a lot of gear. Kids are sleeping in the trailer bed, and the wife and I are in the truck bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior