Water Crossings with an 80 Series?

ssssnake529

Explorer
What are the specific vulnerabilities that an 80 Series has with regard to water crossings?

What are the components that are most likely to be knocked out by water that is too deep? (and what constitutes "too deep?")

I've not really driven my 80 through anything more than a few inches of water, and am wondering how deep I can go without breaking things.

(I've been looking at a map of a place I'm going in the near future, and it looks like the road crosses several creeks, so I want to be prepared.)

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Get a Safari Snorkel. Trust me, you won't regret it: Cleaner air and greatly removes the danger of injecting h2o into the motor. If you notice the pic below, even shallow water can fill up the wheel well - which is the stock air intake location.

Extend the breather hoses on the diffs. Super easy and effective.

Make sure your door seals are in good shape.

Not even close to the limits:
f8ebea20.jpg

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
There are a lot more items to be concerns with fording water before you need a snorkel IMO.
You can cross some pretty deep water before a snorkel is need with the stock intake pictured below.
FWIW I do have a snorkel not for water crossing, mostly because chicks dig them:ylsmoke:

Attachments

• fender-intake 80.jpg
    fender-intake 80.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 142

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I'll be putting a snorkel on mine after extending a few breather lines. No ignition system to worry about.

I've also heard that they lower EGT's? Not sure about that though.

Last edited:

mogtan

L/C80 does not suck air even if you are driving underwater as deep as your head light. I've done that in diesel L/C in the past. If the water is that deep, your hood will be covered with water.
Make sure you don't stay in the water for too long. Hot oil in diff/AT will suck water into your diff/AT soon and destroy expensive stuff.

simps80

L/C80 does not suck air even if you are driving underwater as deep as your head light. I've done that in diesel L/C in the past. If the water is that deep, your hood will be covered with water.
Make sure you don't stay in the water for too long. Hot oil in diff/AT will suck water into your diff/AT soon and destroy expensive stuff.

water? :snorkel: not needed ;-)
water.jpg

ssssnake529

Explorer
Sell a snorkel??

Yep.

Kurt installed a Safari Snorkel, and extended the various vent/breather tubes out of harm's way.

If I drown the car now, I guess I will have only myself to blame.

My wife told me she didn't want a snorkel on the Cruiser. She hasn't noticed it yet. When she does, I've got a story prepared that it's really just a "hood scoop" like the one on her Subaru STi. (Good thing I've got a roof-top tent, as I will be sleeping in it for a while.)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Run your t-case/tranny and diff breathers up to the top of the firewall. Add a safari snorkel and make sure its properly installed. Seal your dizzy with silicone if you feel you're going to be in the deep for a long period or more than a few times in one trip. If you know its extremely deep, run a plastic tarp outfront of your grill to divert water around the front end.

We've had our 80 series in water up to a quarter way up the windshield, once. We entered a crossing too fast, instead of wading through with a bow wave. It was enough to soak the dizzy and make the truck stall. After winching out of the water crossing, we proceeded to let it dry.. then fired it up and it stuttered like a madman. After a couple times up and down the trail.. it dried up and cleared up.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
I've been in the Gila River in Arizona for minutes at a time and many times. Driving up-stream to the next road...when one side falls into a whole the water covers the entire window and rushes up and over the roof. It's freaky...thank God the holes don't last long. The 100-series is even better in the deep stuff. Never ANY sputtering...distributorless...amazing!

lrover52

Bernard
I was in Chad a few of years ago (humanitarian work) and had to cross this wadi.
We (and a number of Diesel Land Cruisers) had to drive through 1.2 meters of water. No sweat!

Crossing a wadi in Chad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles