Falken or Yokohama experiences ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Looking at tire options for my new 02 Trooper. Does anybody have experience with the Discounttire exclusive Falken Rocky Mountain? Also thinking Yokohama Geolander ATs. Size will be 265/75/16.

Thanks,

Jeff

eric1115

Adventurer
I ran the Yoko's in 235/85/16 on my 'Cruiser; I was generally pleased with them in the dry, the snow, and on the road. Less impressed when it got even a little sloppy, or when the snow got very deep. I see Tuscon as your location, so I don't imagine either of those will be conditions you'll encounter often. No experience with the Falkens.

-Eric

I have the Yokohama Geolander ATS on my Ram 3500 and have been very happy. I have 56k on them right now, and just starting to hit the wear bars. Performance has been very good for an AT. Only issue is some cupping causing more road noise, but that's my fault for not rotating enough. I'll be buying another set again soon.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I had the Geolanders AT+ II a very good tire, very good traction, however they do not make them any more. They are soft on the punctures but good tire overall.

The new Falkens look interesting, but you could also consider the Hankook allterrain, similar pattern and less money!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I emailed Paul Thompson a while back and asked him for a followup on the Falkens after he'd had them for a while...

"The Falken's are holding up nicely and are definitely smooth and quiet on the road. I've got about 7k on them now. If I remember right they have a 50k tread life guarantee. While I did opt to change them out for Toyo Open Country M/Ts on our recent Baja adventure, I'm swapping the Falkens back on for daily driving and mild trails. I also found that in my case I get about a mile per gallon better fuel economy with the falkens. No they don't look quit as tough as full mud tires but everything is a trade off :)"

Here's his original online review from last year - http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/off-road-adventure-accessories/falken-rocky-mountain-ats-review/

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
We have the Geolander AT 265/75/16's (load range D) on our 2005 Tacoma. Very happy with both on and off road performance.

FWIW- we were so pleased with the Geolanders that we also put them on our 2004 Discovery and our old Tiger van. Good tires.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Thanks for all the feedback, seems like either will be a good choice.

Just talked with the guy that bought my Land Cruiser and he and his in-laws all run the Yokohamas as well, a New Mexico ranch family. Lots of rocks on the property and they love the Yokos.

Guess I will decide at the store when I can compare them side by side ...

I am sure there are many good choices, any other choices people really like that offer a good AT experience at a good price point?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Just an FYI, the Falken Rocky Mountain and Wildpeak are the same tire. I also run Falkens (the High Country AT) and have been very happy with them so far. They are very smooth an quiet, but have worked great out in the desert and in bad (snowy and rainy) weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier