conundrum... what do i do?

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
im deployed and am scheduled to come home in October. I want to get one more camping trip in when i get home if possible. Problem is it will be cold as hell in the colorado rockies. So out will comne the tent heater. there is where the problem comes in. it is propane powered. propane heaters have a low oxygen cutoff sensor on them. there is naturally low oxygen at 9800 foot elevation. so do i try to bypass the sensor? or is there another solution that would help us out to stay warm at night? we use 2 seperate tents for the family. my pickup bed tent for the wife and I, and a ground tent for the kids. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregg

ssssnake529

Explorer
Put everyone in one tent. No need for the heater. I'd be very wary about messing with the oxygen cutoff sensor. You'd be sad if your family died from co poisoning. Seriously, pack everyone together and you will stay warm. I've gone backpacking with boy scouts in Colorado in temps down to 30 below zero. I just have all the boys sleep in one tent. It's surprising what a big difference this makes.

wardrow

Adventurer
Consider a tent where you can put in a tent stove. Hunters and outfitters have been doing it for years!

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
we have done a tent where everyone was in it together, and trust me it still got cold, but of course it would have helped to have colder rated bags :(

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Where are you planning on going camping? October is the middle of hunting season, if you go into the rockies make sure you wear blaze orange.

Have you thought about Moab? It's gorgeous that time of year, and very few tourists. Only a few hours (maybe 5) from the Colorado Springs area, too, via US 24/I-70.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
off gold camp road behind cheyenne mountain and pikes peak. i wont have the time to go to moab untill novemberish and i got 3 kids in school, so i dont think it will be a possibility, plus im thinking of driving home to PA on my 30 day block leave

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If you're sleeping in the back of the truck, what kind of mattress are you using?

Avoid the old school air mattresses - their insulating properties suck, & you'll freeze (BTDT). Foam pads (therm-a-rest, Paco pads, Landing Pads, etc) will keep you much warmer. If an air mattress is your only option, put a heavy blanket (or three) between you and the mattress. Also, consider adding a heavy blanket or two on top of you - over the sleeping bags. That's what Marisa and I did before we bought the Landing Pads.

I never liked the idea of heaters in crowded tents. Too easy to knock them over while you're sleeping.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
we were using an air mattress but are currently in the market to upgrade to a memory foam mattress.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
we were using an air mattress but are currently in the market to upgrade to a memory foam mattress.

Put something between you and that air mattress - even if it's just an inexpensive foam mattress topper, or a few heavy blankets. It really makes a difference.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
thats what we always do. we put our faux mink blanket between our air mattress and the sleeping bags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94