My M101A2, Camping utility trailer.

sapper

Adventurer
I have a lot of plans for my new to me M101A2 but it is going to take a while once we move to the new house.

I will post some before pictures once I get home in a couple of days.

I have already replaced all the electrical and mounted a pair of LED lights, removed at least 10lb of bolts in the trailer and a bunch of conduit (old genset trailer).

Overall the trailer is in good shape but I will share my plans.

- Sandblast entire trailer and frame
- Weld-up all old bolt holes and any rust (very little rust)
- Line-x entire trailer tub inside and out
- Paint the frame.
- Either remove tailgate and make a custom one to include ramps or modify stock one (including bear claw latches). Stock one has a 1/4" plate welded on it already making it very heavy
- Mount 30 Gallon water tank under bed
- Mount Sureflo pump
- Mount topside boxes on each side
- Mount tounge box with dual batteries
- Mount Solar charger
- Shower unit
- Sink
- modify existing aluminum cage to use a RTT or carry additional gear
- Install custom bedslide
- replace pintle with 2 5/16 ball coupler
May also replace axle with a 7000lb axle with electric brakes in place of the hydro brakes.

-

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Sounds like an awesome project!

Not sure what advantage the 7,000 lb. axle is...but if you replace it with the same diameter that's there...it should be a direct bolt up. Cut the spring perches off carefully, and weld them back on the new axle, and it should be a whiz.

Good luck, Pat

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
When you replace the M101A2 axle put it up for sale on Steelsoldiers.com
There is always someone looking for an 101A2 to replace thier 101 axle.

sapper

Adventurer
The reason for the 7000lb axle is just brute strength and electric brakes with matching bolt pattern to my truck. Also with electric brakes I can make it dump from the drivers seat easily. I want to be able to use the same bearings and seals on all my trailers and the same rim/tire as the truck so I only need one set of spares on the tow rig.

I will sell it when the time comes. I have been on there looking for a few small items myself.

sapper

Adventurer
I picked up a hydroblasting kit to help with the prep work once I get to the other side of the country with the trailer. I didn't want to try and sand the CARC paint off or sandblast but with the hydroblast there is no dust.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Just a couple thoughts, The m101 series trailers really aren't made to dump. They have a folding tongue , so shipping is easier. They will dump, but after alittle abuse, the frame will break. Do a search on SS, they can explain it. The angles aren't right for dumping. Also in the real world that 101 axle is way under rated by the military, it can handle alot of weight. Food for thought.

MIhunter

Those axles are under rated and are heavy SOB's. I ditched mine off of my M101A1 and ordered a 5200lbs axle form ABC trailer. It cost me just under $220 shipped. The reason I did not go with the 3200lbs is he didn't make one with a 6 lug pattern. I had to bump up. I will never get even close to maxing the weight out. You could fill yours full of gravel and never come close.

sapper

Adventurer
Well I finally had a chance to get the pictures of my trailer uploaded so that I can share them.

Here is where it started and where it is now.

P8070053.jpg

P8070047.jpg

The previous owner raised the roof to allow of loading a quad. I removed the extensions.

P8080060.jpg

The bracing to keep the cage steady. It is rock solid now.

P8070045.jpg

Tires are in good shape but will not last me long.

I easily removed 10-20 lbs of hardware/bolts/conduit from the trailer and have a lot of hole to fill. I also need to figure out what I am going to do about the 1/4" plate welded to the tailgate.

P8080062.jpg

Once I get the trailer welded (after I move 5400kms away) will get the trailer sprayed with line-x like I did the truck.

I wish I would have known about some of the effects they could do before I had the truck sprayed I would have taken advantage of it.

I do plan to add some details like this to my trailer though. I want maple leafs added to the front of the bed and box.

SAM_0643.jpg

SAM_0642.jpg

SAM_0641.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the trailer and the bear cage! doesn't lok bad some sanding and paint and she will be good as new.
Keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz