2011 HD pickup shootout: GMC wins

haven

Expedition Leader
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks...ker-best-overall-heavy-duty-pickup-truck.html

Mike Levine and the staff of Pickuptrucks.com performed an exhaustive series of tests with 2011 versions of the HD diesel pickups from Ford, GMC and Dodge. They measured acceleration while towing, towing performance at different altitudes, braking with a trailer, and fuel economy. The link above summarzes the results.

GMC won the test this year, just like Chevy won last year. GM does a good job making the Duramax diesel and Allison transmission work together to get the job done.

The results were closer than last year. Ford came out on top in the unloaded acceleration, braking and fuel economy tests, so if you use your truck outside of work, perhaps Ford is the best selection. In the end, GMC's superior performace while towing overcame Ford's advantages in other areas.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
not to start a full fledge war, but if you simply remove the exhaust brake test, the Ford wins hands down. As with any test, the individual must rate the importance of each test, but the Ford won the braking category, and most trailers in that segment will be braked as well. For me, the exhaust brake is nice, but not mandatory. Just saying... good chart by the way!!

D

Deleted member 9101

I would kill for an exhaust break on my Tundra!!! After driving a truck for a liven for about 130,000 miles I fell in love with them.

haven

Expedition Leader
"remove the exhaust brake test, the Ford wins hands down"

Right, if you remove the exhaust braking category, Ford would have 676 points, and GMC 657. So if you don't care about exhaust braking you might conclude that Ford should be the winner.

GMC won both low and high altitude uphill towing events, and by significant amounts. If you care about towing, I would not be so quick to say, "Ford wins."

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great article and it just shows how good new trucks are (especially moving the weight they are capable of). Kind of surpised GM hasn't bumped the power, but I guess it's not really needed if you keep winning the towing tests. Shrug...

Jack

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A long term test would be appropriate here. Repair history and cost of ownership per mile over a five year period with similiar miles and loads.

Servicing and repairing these V-8 diesels has got to cost an arm and a leg.

mporter

Observer
personal preference

I really like all three of these trucks, and am certain all 3 would carry my camper and take my family camping with similar aplomb. I test drove all three and was impressed universally. I went with ford for three reason: solid front axle, rear e-locker, and this my not matter to you but it meant a lot to me, ford didn't need a govt bail-out.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I've owned mostly GM and IH stuff for the last 40+ years. But after reading through that entire test, I would enthusiastically own any of the three. I am, however, more than a little disappointed in Ford's seemingly poor exhaust brake. That's just not up to Ford's usual standards.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online