Project STON, the scaled down 1 ton truck

Alltwistedup

Observer
bumper

Thanks to all for all the kind words.

wannabridin had to laugh when I typed your name as you have no idea how bad I wanna be riding:bike_rider:.

This pic was at the end of the second day I think. I slapped it together pretty quick end of 3rd day it was painted. It's on the redo list as I can do a lot better and more functional but it worked for the trip. At some point the pass side got in a fight with a rock as their is a 2" gouge that would had been the body panel and tore the stock bumper off. The hitch portion is reversed from normal so it can't get hung up and all corners smoothed it's a clean look. Getting the spare on and off is a chore and with the swing arm straight back or farther the drivers side rear of the truck drops 1-2" from the leverage. 37" tire, steel wheel, hi-jack and 2.5g of fuel everything is locked to slow down bad people. Ran out of room and time for the ammo can.

ericvs

DUDE! This truck is insane. You have done such a great job. I liked the comment where the lady was looking for the 'big truck' that just started up. Definitely won't be flying below the radar with this beast. haha. I am excited to see your continued progress and I wish that my 3/4 ton was 1/2 the truck that your is. I really like the roof rack on the canopy that you made. I just installed some yakima tracks and cross bars on my canopy, then saw that photo and instantly regretted my decision. what is you plan up there? add some cross bars and then load up? or are those for roll over protection?(! haha).

Anyway, keep up the good work and I look forward to more progress photos & write ups as well.

Alltwistedup

Observer
Thanks

I wish that my 3/4 ton was 1/2 the truck that your is.

Don't wish it, dream it then do it. Wishing involves tossing a lot if money in to a fountain at the mall or rubbing a bottle. Dreams keep you up at night and you can have alot of them, big ones and small ones.

I really like the roof rack on the canopy that you made. I just installed some yakima tracks and cross bars on my canopy, then saw that photo and instantly regretted my decision. what is you plan up there? add some cross bars and then load up? or are those for roll over protection?(! haha).

I don't think the fiberglass can take the load that I want to put on top so those side bars are going to be tied in to the bed of the truck. I have a full length Conifer roof rack but I ran out of time to clean it up. I use the bars to set up my awning/tarp when camping. At Lake Mead I drilled the bars out and added one of the Yakima rails for one bike. Theirs some pics coming.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
An update would definitely be nice.....apart from that I certainly hope everything is going well in your world.:coffeedrink:

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Congrats on the march 2012 fourwheeler Mag feature I was flipping through today and was like hey I seen that truck on expo so congrats and even with out the feature it's a bad *** truck

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
Congrats on the march 2012 fourwheeler Mag feature I was flipping through today and was like hey I seen that truck on expo so congrats and even with out the feature it's a bad *** truck

X2!

Picked up a copy this morning because of the OBS Suburban on the cover. Started thumbing through it and saw your truck and remembered reading this build thread here. Congrats, it's well deserved.

Alltwistedup

Observer
Mag and Update

Thanks guys. I got told it was out on Saterday night by a friend after I had already checked another grocery store. Sunday morning I had 3 copies and had read the article about my own truck 5 times.

I tried to give them a cover shot but it was to late, the artwork was done for the mag. For reference my sliders are 2' off the ground, at one point the whole drivers front tire got swallowed in a hole. Mojave river Feb 2011

The magazine was part of the reason I stopped posting what happened on the trip, as their was a possibility that it could get in to 3 magazines just based on going to the King of the Hammers race. I knew the truck could turn heads but never did I think it would get the attention that it got.

Updates
Since the truck limped back in to the driveway in March (no exhaust or rear brakes for 700 miles), it has not left the driveway:(. I got the chance to fix a couple things before having back surgery and I have not been able to wrench on anything since. I have been able to get a hold of the parts need to fix and beef up the last remaining items and started collecting items and drawing up sketches for what I want to improve including building the camper. As of a couple of weeks ago I was able to sit in the truck for 20 min and push the clutch 10 times and that's a big step forward. As soon as I can bend better and spin wrenches I can get it back on the road and in to nature were it belongs.

I will try and finish this thread with the trip report as soon as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier