SPOT Tracking - worth the $50?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
With the iPhone, iPad, and a 60CSx all offering a bread crumb type tracking feature, I'm curious about the logic of using Spot's service at extra cost. I see they have a web site that would utilize the feature in a pretty cool way, but I'm at a loss as to how else this might be useful. Anyone have suggestions for the unimaginative / frugal?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
most places i go dont have cell service. an iphone is just extra weight in a situation like that.

Depending on the app, many maps are cacheable and can use the iPhone's built in GPS chipset for nav and location services. It is not dependent on cell coverage.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
With the iPhone, iPad, and a 60CSx all offering a bread crumb type tracking feature, I'm curious about the logic of using Spot's service at extra cost. I see they have a web site that would utilize the feature in a pretty cool way, but I'm at a loss as to how else this might be useful. Anyone have suggestions for the unimaginative / frugal?

I think allowing family/friends to know where you are is the only use I see a benefit.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I find it very useful for letting my wife & friends track my trips and it cuts down on the worry & calls home.
I like to go solo with just my son & I or maybe with 1 other friend and we prefer areas without cell service. The Spot tracking lets friends & family know where I am and that all is well.
I also makes for a fun time when we get home as we can tell our travel story and zoom in on the locations of camps, vistas, and such using the Spot map.
I have the full tilt service from Spot which I think is around $160 a year, that is $3 a WEEK, maybe 50 cents a day...nothing really in the grand scheme of things.

targa88

Explorer
I find it very useful for letting my wife & friends track my trips and it cuts down on the worry & calls home.
I like to go solo with just my son & I or maybe with 1 other friend and we prefer areas without cell service. The Spot tracking lets friends & family know where I am and that all is well.
What is the price for peace of mind....

Most of my trips are solo. My wife knows were I am
Friends can track where I am in case I need help... or just live vicariously through my waypoints..
Same things go when I follow friends trips too

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
What is the price for peace of mind....

Most of my trips are solo. My wife knows were I am
Friends can track where I am in case I need help... or just live vicariously through my waypoints..
Same things go when I follow friends trips too

x2. Perfect for solo traveling.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I guess if you forget to hit the OK button the tracking tells a story.

Might also be useful if you can't hit 911. Interesting.

matt s

Explorer
I feel like the bread crumb is the best feature of the unit. For me the biggest reason is this. I think in many emergency situations I won't be able to hit the panic button. My family can see my last known location. If the spot is damaged in the incident I will be within 10 minutes travel of the last signal sent. If it survives it will keep pinging on my location. This info in conjunction with leaving a trip plan is very valuable. When your are a day overdue and haven't moved in 24 hours, the people at home know somethings up.

My Father and Uncle are both pilots and we spend a fair amount of time in the bush flying. Leaving that bread crumb is an extra, and to me cheap, piece of insurance should we go down.

And finally, my wife thinks the $50 cost of peace of mind for her knowing I am ok and on the move is worth every penny.

Your point about gps etc for mapping routes and keeping logs is correct, they do it much better. I don't see that as the intended use of that feature or this device.

EDIT: I should note that when out and about I am almost always out of cell service.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The tracking is a neat feature and as pointed out could really be a useful tool in a time of need. For those of you that are HAM operators, look into the APRS feature that you get to operate for free as a licensed ham'r. It tracks amazingly well even in some of Utah's remote southern territory where cell service is shoddy at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior