Off-Roader's Scenic Map iPad topographic software review

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Basic Info
Version:
iOS 4.0
Western USA
Coverage: W109-W162 deg. longitude (including AZ, CA, HI, ID, NE, OR, UT, WA, W. CO, MT, NM, WY)

Cost:
$9.99

GPS:
I did my review using my 16GB WIFI iPad with a Dual XGPS-150 connected via bluetooth interface
Initial Impressions (after 2 short days of play):
Likes- Very simple to use
Shows Topo lines, many major streets including most in urban areas, & also buildings.:Wow1:
Large map area included with purchase (Western US)
Decent detail 10m terrain map.
Dev. is currently finishing work on new 3D graphics engine.
Can choose between 5 'preset' map rendering options. Each can be custom defined based on
- color (white, natural, altitude)
- month (defines the season)
- polygon opacity
- show water (on/off)
- Indian lands (on/off)
- buildings (on/off)
- state borders (on/off)
- lines (roads, streams, trails, RR, piers, & aqueducts)
- GPS Track (on/off)
- Populated Places
- Road Names
- Area Names
- POI
- Waypoints
- Compass Direction
- Scale
- Metric / English units
- Dark Text
- Contours
- Shaded Terrain (can use in conjunction with the sun illumination feature to show shadows based on position of the sun)

Dislikes:
Cannot import tracks (coming up in next version which should be available after iOS 5 is released)

Overall:
Based on my intended use (off road vehicle navigation) I really like how simple it is to use. The interface is very logical for me and so far I really haven't found any limitations other than not being able to import a track/route.

For those who want to use it for hiking, it also works on an iPod touch or iPhone.:)

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Curious about your use of the Dual XGPS-150 - has the internal GPS of the iPad / iPhone let you down in the past or this a 'just in case' addition. The iPad & iPhone work well for me, even here in some of Alaska's more rugged areas they seem to find my 10-20.

I too use this app based on earlier comments. There is room to grow and that is exciting to consider as it is already an elegant and powerful tool.

Here is a link to the iTunes store.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Curious about your use of the Dual XGPS-150 - has the internal GPS of the iPad / iPhone let you down in the past or this a 'just in case' addition. The iPad & iPhone work well for me, even here in some of Alaska's more rugged areas they seem to find my 10-20.

I too use this app based on earlier comments. There is room to grow and that is exciting to consider as it is already an elegant and powerful tool.

Here is a link to the iTunes store.

What internal GPS? :Wow1: I have a wifi iPad and iPod Touch. :ylsmoke:

I do like the fact that the gps can be used with my carputer as well so, for me it was a good purchase.

I will also say that I'm disappointed that NONE of the gps units available for the IOS ecosystem utilize sirfstar chipset technology (Dual uses a "65 channel SkyTraq engine" chipset) which from all my reading and experience are faster to connect, & more reliable to stay connected than other gps chipsets (at least that's what I read a few months back). Not sure if that's still the case though. Maybe someone can shed more light on this to help others determine if it's worth the effort to 'upgrade' to the sirfstar technology.

On a different note: One other limitation is while you can turn on tracking and the app shows your current and past track, there doesn't appear to be a way to export this track to your PC or other device :(

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Another key benefit for this setup is you can turn off the iPad but keep the Dual GPS running (runs for 8hrs on a full charge) so it stays locked onto the satellites. Then when you need to get your locations, you just turn on the iPad and within seconds can see where you are on the map.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94