Car waxes/polish help

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have a black truck and live on a dirt road...ugh...so I don't wash it that often but when I do what do people recommend for wax/polish...hand/orbital?...and brands to stay away from...
Thanks
Matt

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Back when I had a couple black German cars, I always applied the wax by hand to ensure coverage and then used a slow buffer to remove the wax after letting it dry. A thin coat of wax is absolutely the best way to go. If you feel the need, do that twice. It is SO much easier to remove and offers the same protection as harder to work with thick coats. Letting it dry also aids in removal especially in door / hood joints etc. Microfiber clothes make the final touch up a breeze.

Wax Shoppe is great stuff, but so is Meguiar's and it is everywhere. Once a year I do a two wax application - a cleaner wax (nothing aggressive) to remove chemicals and blemishes from the paint and then a good UV polish for protection. Mid summer will see a quickie cleaning wax job. Very rewarding to see the rain beads on shiny paint!

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I use turtle wax ice & make sure you do nt get the detailer by accident, it does work ,but needs to be reapplied more often unlike the wax

leman

Adventurer
dont forget a clay bar. super easy to use and you will be amazed by the results. used one for the first time this summer when i got some overspray on the jeep spray painting some stuff

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
dont forget a clay bar. super easy to use and you will be amazed by the results. used one for the first time this summer when i got some overspray on the jeep spray painting some stuff

Oh man, I love a freshly clay-barred finish—like glass! I've got a Mother's California Claybar system.

As far as wax, I've used Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax for the last few years, and really like the results. I also have their "Final Inspection" detailer, which is great for quick touch ups.

In addition, I've started using some Eco-Touch products, such as their metal pollish, tire cleaner, and general purpose cleaner. Very impressed with this stuff. I'm not a fan of the wet look on tires, but their tire product just makes them look clean (low gloss).

- Andy

Muleman

The Journey
Car Finish Wax!

My 2cents ... I love the Brand: Nu-Finish, " The Once a year car wax/polish "
:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles