5200 lb axle vs 3500lb axle? and axle q's

java

Expedition Leader
i want an axle with 6 on 5.5 bolt spacing.

i can get an off the shelf 5200lb one with 12x2" brakes that has the correct pattern or a 3500lb axle with 10" brakes and adapters.

is there a huge weight different in the 5200 vs 3500lb axles? im trying to keep the weight down as much as possible, the prices end up being almost the same, when the adapters are added in.

Last edited:

gabepari

Explorer
We get 3500# axles all the time with 10" brakes and 6 on 5.5". You shouldn't have to use adapters.

Gabe

java

Expedition Leader
We get 3500# axles all the time with 10" brakes and 6 on 5.5". You shouldn't have to use adapters.

Gabe

Where from? I see alot of people get them from abc trailer but I called and he said they could only do it on the 5200 lb axles. I did find one site that had then but they wanted ~$500 for it

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Try Redneck trailer supply....

As Gabe said you need to use Spidertrax if you plan on converting from "lug centric" to "hub centric" (that's what our 4R's are)

if you're using Toyota wheels (non-hub centric) then you should be ok.

java

Expedition Leader
I was gonna try using the lugs to center the wheels. I know its been done before and with the cone seat lugs it should be do able to a trailer. Id I need adapters anyway I can just use a standard axle but I was trying to stay away from spacers if I can.
-Gabe

java

Expedition Leader
Ill throw this in here too.

How important is it that the WMS measurement is the same for tow and trailer?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I was gonna try using the lugs to center the wheels. I know its been done before and with the cone seat lugs it should be do able to a trailer. Id I need adapters anyway I can just use a standard axle but I was trying to stay away from spacers if I can.
-Gabe

That's fine to do it that way....but 1 nut comes loose for whatever reason, you can destroy the studs on the drum, or if it's not bolted up perfectly it can vibrate you to death. I'd use the adapters.

As far as the matching width on both trailer and TV, my guess is it's easier to tell where the trailer will go, especially if the TV fits.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
yup like Gabe mentioned 3,500 will be fine.

Not sure if I missed it or not, but wheels are you running? If you have a small center bore like stock wheels you will have to run spacers, due to trailer bearings stick out past the hub face.

upcountry

Explorer
Gabe- I called around locally and there are several local seattle vendors where you can get these axles and ibwas able to get the different weights for each with and withou brakes. They all had them in stock. Lets talk offline and I can gove you the info I have. Bottom line was around 120#s difference in weight between a 3500# idler and a 5200# with drum brake setup. The 3500# assembly with axle tube and idler hub was around only 65#s. With 10" brake setup the assembly was around 90#s. Still fairly light in my opinio.

One headache to consider with the brake is you are required to run a breakaway kit amd this can add a big hassle because it requires a battery and breakaway module. For this reason I am thinking of going with the smallest axle and just keepind the loads below 1k#s.

Check the Roblees website. They are in south seattle near Boeing field and have axles in stock. Very helpfull on the phone too. Plus axles are made in good ol usa not some china crap. I am not some crazed flag hugger but lately with the economic woes of this country I am now starting to see the importance in supporting domestic industry.

upcountry

Explorer
Your also going to need to consider something like this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FPY7M2/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/184-7834480-3909915) if you are planning to go with a new axle unless you are anticipating cutting the existing spring perch off the existing axle or cutting the stud off the spring perch and welding it to the ubolt top plate. Another option is what Portal member Tropics did with his was to use 2 mufflerbclamps and a piece of angle iron with a stud on each side clamped to the axle tube. He jas a pic somewhere in this forum showing how he set it up. Looks stout and did not require welding just need a drillpress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier