TC-3 Bantam Build - Need some advice

TacoDell

Adventurer
In the event that I decide to remove the lid it'll be easier to repair holes than grind on welds.
During the reconditioning of my M100...
I had 40 plus holes that needed weld fill...

after all that practice... I have become much more proficient at filling holes with weld.

and so... I have no qualms with drilling a few holes if need be.

BTW... filling holes in metal requires grinding as well
I don't think anyone can weld so perfectly... that this step could be avoided.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
The fam and I went out this weekend and it served to reinforce some of the ideas I have for this trailer. As I looked around camp I pointed out the items that would be stowed yet easily accessible keeping set up and take down to less than 15 minutes. My wife isn't as big on "exploring" as I am so I can drop the trailer at camp and she can stay and relax while the rest of us bounce around the backwoods.

Payday is coming so I plan on sandblasting soon, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the tail gate off without damaging it too bad. It may be a moot point since it'll be replaced anyway, I was somewhat concerned with salvaging the hinges as I think they're original.

I'm going to use Zero Rust paint because it applies directly to bare metal and comes in red. Apparently the military uses it for equipment, and the fact that it comes in a rattle can for touch ups is nice too.

Adventure Trailers new kitchen has given me some ideas to add on to my existing thoughts about the kitchen. I'm pretty sure that fully outfitted AT kitchen will cost more than I paid for the trailer but using a pelican case (or something like it) would be useful. Another idea I had was to use a truck underbody tool box as the dimensions are close to what I think I'll need.

I'll post photos after sandblasting.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
its been a while since I've posted here so I thought it give an update.

the winter shut down this project for a bit but the weather has been nice lately so I took the tub down to a body shop to have them look at the rust holes that would need to be patch. They didn't instill any confidence in me. Basically, they aren't convinced patching is the solution or that it would take and the floor and portions of the sides may need to be replaced. Of course, i wont really know until its sandblasted but I'm thinking thats a bit of a gamble and sinking more money into a prospect they may not turn out well.

I'm now thinking of several options:

1. Sell the while trailer as is (disassembled) and start over either building from scratch or getting a tub from Sierra 4x4 or AT if they sell them
2. Pull the tub and salvage the running gear and frame - requires removing a lot of tac welds and part out what I wont use

So I've got a decision to make and I'd like to get this moving along. The O.EXPO is a little over a month away in my home town and it would be great to christen it then. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CRJeepin

Observer
Just found this thread as I'm building a TC3 now and am looking for ideas. Maybe you've already made a decision, but here's my .02.

Your frame looks a lot better than mine, I've decided to build an entire new frame due to extensive rust. The welds between the tub and frame are not that significant -- yes there are a lot of them, but they are all on the outside and easy to get at. An hour or two with a cutoff wheel should take care of them all. After that it's an easy job to replace the floor pan. My floor pan is solid, but yours looks like it needs to go....I'd still do the frame off if I were you.

I wouldn't bother with sand blasting until you're ready to paint. The sides look pretty good in the pictures, and why pay to sandblast the floor if it needs to go? You can always have the frame sandblasted once it's off...or after it goes back together.

Replacement floor pans are $240-250. Two places that sell them:

https://www.dlbensinger.com/index.php?cPath=51_71&osCsid=e5d685f3d330a7e0d63f2e77cbd155b5
http://www.greenespanelworks.com/

Good luck!

CR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94