Started my WFA pack for vehicle use.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the tips!

Everything shown was repacked into heavy zip lock bags prior to storing it. This is a vehicle carried kit, so the extra weight of the liquids doesn't bother me. I have lots of OTC meds as well.

I've looked into a splint, and may add one to the kit. With all the junk I carry in the truck, I think I can come up with a splint if need be.

The Epi-Pen is something I'll continue to renew via prescription. With AZ having only Africanized bees left in the wild, it seems like a wise idea, and I hope I never need it! We had a gentleman killed 15 miles south of Prescott last year...

As I mentioned earlier in the post, and I re-quote it here again, I have made a decision to not perform CPR unless it is a witnessed event or family member. I have done CPR 7 times while in the USCG, and not one of them recovered. In all those cases the person collapsed or drowned well before our arrival on scene. In a wilderness/off highway event the chances of recovery are even lower without a defib unit.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
After a great WFA review (http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ery-WFA-survival-skills-Northern-AZ-06-Oct-12) I've added a few more items to my supplies.

Adal and Mitch recommend a couple companies, and I selected the items below from Chinook Medical Supply:

Qty: 4 Item: 05131 Price: $6.01 - Israeli Emergency Bandage - 6"

Qty: 1 Item: 05149 Price: $27.17 - SOF Tactical Tourniquet

Qty: 1 Item: 01030 Price: $11.48 - SAM Splint - Orange/Blue

Qty: 4 Item: 900004 Price: $1.33 - Emergency/Survival Blanket

Qty: 1 Item: 05165 Price: $23.75 - CELOX Hemostatic - 35 gram

After seeing Adal (former Green Beret medic, current Helo Medic) use the larger Israeli bandages for a wide variety of uses, I added some of them to the kit. My small quantity of Quik Clot was outdated, so it needed to be replace. The SOFTT will be an upgrade to the CAT I've carried, it is much better built. The SAM splint will be a new piece of geer for me - I always figured I could cobble together a splint, but they are so much easier to have in the pack. And after inspecting my old Emergency blankes, they were pretty rough, so I got a couple new ones to split between the Jeep and Power Wagon.

Mark

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Its looking good! Im glad to see you've added celox, and a CAT and a SAM splint. A a trained EMT I also carry a NPO and NAR BVM.

good luck!

Here is to preparing for the worst and hoping for the best

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Just put my kit together today. Will be primarily for travel but also a good kit for around the house. Since I'll use it at home as well as on/off the road, I included a respiratory bag as mouth to mouth is something I'd rather not perform. This way I can still provide rescue breaths if needed.

Still have a couple small items to add, but everything re-packed fit into a small backpack. Got all the mess and creams in a separate organizer with my epipen, and another organizer for my shears, tweezers, sharpies, etc. I also keep 4 bottles of water in it so it is a self contained bag.

List includes

200 count 4x4 gauze
4 count of gauze rolls
2 count ACE wraps
Assorted vet wrap
Assorted fabric bandages
Small vial of quick clot
Wound closure butterflies
Respirator bag and adult mask
4 half liter bottles of water
2 count large syringe
20+ neoprene gloves
Ear plugs
Extra CPR quick shield
100 ft of para cord

Tool organizer:
Large and small shears
Various tweezers
Magnifying glass
Sharpies
Pencils
Thermometer
Quick renew razor knifes
Spiral notebook

Med bag:
Aspirin
Acetometaphine
Ibuprofen
Benadryl pills
Benadryl cream
Burn gel packs
Honey packets
Epipen two pack
Tums
Chapstick
Two finger splints

Will be adding a dental first aid kit, a couple trauma dressings, safety glasses, and some blister dressings. Other items will be added as needed.

ma8ememu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arclight

SAR guy
I wouldn't bother with saline, peroxide, or any other bulk liquids. Just get some povidine iodine wipes, and you can use those to disinfect, as well as make a weak tincture for disinfecting deep wounds using your blunt-tip syringe. You only need to make it to "weak tea" color.

Most of what you need are 4x4s, gauze rolls, and OTC meds. As others have said, you can do a lot with Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Benadryl and Imodium. If its for travel, you might also want Pepto Bismol, and a prescription med like Cipro for traveler's diarrhea. Also, instead of Pedialyte solution, just buy Gatorade or similar in single-serving, powder form. Any clean drinking water should be good enough for first aid uses.

On this topic, I have a quick-and-dirty guide for the kits we put together. The text is public-domain, and you are welcome to share, modify, etc. The drug labels are lifted from the FDA site, so I'm not clear on what the copyright status of those are.

PDF version:
http://23.org/~arclight/firstaid/firstaid_booklet.pdf

MS Word:
http://23.org/~arclight/firstaid/firstaid_booklet_src.docx

This project is based on an article I wrote a few years ago called "The $20 first aid kit." You can read it here:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2006/01/getting-your-group-to-buy-in-t.html

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles