Kodiak 4 Person Deluxe

TexGX

Explorer
After some research here is the deal.

The Kodiak is a very close reproduction of the Springbar(I am guessing a patient expired). I like the updated features on the Kodiak over the Springbar(more windows, colors, etc.). Springbars are made in America, but canvas is bought from all over the world(china is one source). I believe that the guy that sells the Kodiak may have had previous ties to Springbar. The Kodiak are made in china. I do not think you could go wrong with a Springbar. I will say that I am very happy with my Kodiak so far.

TexGX

Hafwit

Adventurer
I picked up a Kodiak tent a while back when they had some incredible deals on them. This was mainly because I have a Jumping Jack trailer and the tent that is part of the trailer has many similarities to the Kodiak in both construction and appearance. When I switched from ground camping to trailer camping, I was impressed by the significant increase in comfort offered by the trailer. However, the trailer cannot be used in every situation, and for that reason, I felt the Kodiak would be the next choice. We have used it a few times so far, and I have found it easy to set up and once in place, it works quite well. The canvas is IMO far superior to the various cheap tent fabrics used on just about everything else. This is a tent that should last for decades if it isn't abused. I have not yet experienced rain or wind with it, but the poles and stakes are quite robust and I suspect it will perform well.

Cheers,
Greg

Moody

Needs to get out more
I hate to say it, but if you have compared the Kodiak to a Springbar side to side, it is obvious which is a better made tent. Kirkham's had a Kodiak set up next to their Springbar in the store to allow employees and customers to see them side by side. I can't believe how thin the canvas is on the Kodiak. I am sure the Kodiak is fine for those who venture out a couple of times a year in 'ok' weather. If you are buying a tent that you want to have 100% confidence in, save your $ and spend the additional $200 bucks and get a Springbar.

I grew up camping out of a Springbar Family Camper that my folks had for years before I was born. I donated it to a scout troop a few years back, and last I heard it was still in use (30+ years).

The old saying goes...you get what you pay for.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I would be curious to see a Springbar tent (Unfortunately, I couldn't see either prior to buying). Both tents say they use 8.5 oz in the walls and 10 oz in the ceiling. Springbar using "sunforger" and Kodiak using "Hydrashield" canvas. But I was a bit surprised at how thin the material was on my Kodiak when it arrived. According to the specs, the Kodiak actually weighs more even accounting for the stakes. I assume due to the thicker floor. Anybody know the difference between Sunforger and Hydra-Shield?

Either way, I really haven't heard much negative about either tent. I certainly don't regret buying the Kodiak, but would love to see a Springbar in person. We all know sometimes specs don't really show the true picture.

My Kodiak is going out on it's maiden voyage this weekend.

TexGX

Explorer
Used the tent over the weekend moving it once. I love this thing. I like being able to stand up. The cot works great in the tent as well. This is by far my favorite setup.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
My weekend trip went well too. It set up quickly and even with two over-sized cots (86"x40"), there was plenty of room. The storage loft and hanging storage are really useful too. Several of the other campers were coveting it, but maybe it was because I had been talking it up so much.

All in all, it's still just a tent. Other than the increased room, it didn't feel any different than my other tent. But it is nice to know it will last for a long time. Also a much nicer place to stay if confined to the tent due to weather. Certainly no regrets on the purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior