"Turtle" my M101A3 build

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Sorry, just got back inside. Thanks Koolex for picking it up. I bought six of those, they plug right in, same ones the military now use. Great price too.

volleyball

Those trailers sure look like A2's. The A3 should have the lights that work with 12v out of the box. The A2's did not.

I'd like to see a pic of the lights mounting to the trailer. Are you lights protected if the trailer tilts back?

BadPunkin

Observer
Those trailers sure look like A2's. The A3 should have the lights that work with 12v out of the box. The A2's did not.

I'd like to see a pic of the lights mounting to the trailer. Are you lights protected if the trailer tilts back?

I checked the plates on the bodies tonight and the green one says M101A3 and the tan is too worn to tell. The lights are beat up. One housing s shattered, another two are cracked and the last may be in decent shape (it was getting dark).

JPK

Explorer
They were listed and invoiced as A3s and have the wider 45" space between the wheel wells in the bed. I guess it doesn't matter to me what they are because I like them. Just what I was looking for.

Anyone have ideas for upgrading/converting the lights?? I have heard about swapping bulbs, but 3/4 housing are cracked. I can get sealed led kits from my local trailer supply that I could use to replace the existing, but I don't like the idea of having the lights hang down below the body. I looked at flush mount LEDs but can't find a spot wide enough on the back to mount them. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks everyone for feedback/input

A1 and A2 beds are ~45.5" between the wheel wells. A'3's are greater than 48", iirc they are 48.5" or so and they will fit a sheet of plywood between them. A3 beds also have wider extended fenders on the outside to cover the A3's 12.5"x37"X16.5" Goodyear military Wrangler tires on the wider drop axle. The fenders extend beyond the sides of the bed. The A3's have a stouter frame, 4" instead of 3" or 3.5" iirc, and weigh more. Also, the tires are on two piece beadlock rims on the A3's.

There are all kinds of mixed and matched trailers, like one of mine, an A2 bed but A3 drop axle, however, yours look pure A2. As recently as yours were made, I'm suprised they aren't A3's. I wonder if the plates got changed, which isn't supposed to happen. No matter though, they are all great trailers and hell built for stout. Out of curiosity, what does the frame plate read? M116A3 or A2?

As far as lights, I found flush mounted oval LED tail lights that would fit on the rear frame cross member and which required only a small hole drilled behind them for the wiring (plus a hole at each end to mount the light.) Don't recall where I found them but it was one of the big on line trailer parts shops. I think they sold matching, but smaller side markers too. I actually got through inspection with magnetic lights, which I surely didn't expect.

JPK

Last edited:

koolex11

Observer
I have one OD green plastic tail light (24V) in good shape that I will sell you for cheap if you are interested. Change the two bulbs inside (pep boys $5) and you have 12V.

Yes I will agree with JPK, these trailers are all mixed up. I believe they have a couple of sayings in the army that stem from the motto "git r done", and one is "if it fits, bolt it on." You can't even trust the ID plate sometimes, because the military will slap new ones on them if they get damaged. There are so many versions of the same basic 3/4 ton trailer.

And it doesn't even matter as long as you are happy. But it's nice to know what you have!

koolex11

Observer
Ok so I was reading a little in the tech manual and found this to help id the chassis, haven't found anything on the box yet.

Table 1-1. Differences Between Models
Model Axle Inertia Brake System Wheels/Tires Frame Spring Leaves
M101A1 Straight No Tubeless/Radial 3 in. (7.62 cm) 5
M101A2 Straight Yes Tubeless/Radial 3 in. (7.62 cm) 5
M101A3 Offset Yes Tubeless/Runflat/Radial 4 in. (10.16 cm) 6
M116A1 Straight No Tubeless/Radial 3 in. (7.62 cm) 5
M116A2 Straight Yes Tubeless/Radial 3 in. (7.62 cm) 5
M116A2E1 Straight Yes Tubeless 4 in. (10.16 cm) 6
M116A3 Offset Yes Tubeless/ Runflat/Radial 4 in. (10.16 cm) 6

koolex11

Observer
I think the only real things to consider are the frame size and # of leaf springs. There is a reason the later models had bigger chassis.

BadPunkin

Observer
Thanks for all of the info. I ordered up a full set of STT and marker lights for both trailers last night. I am very happy with the trailers A2/3 as far as they meet my need, but certainly overpaid if they are A2s.

Live and learn. I'll still enjoy working on them and using them.

koolex11

Observer
If you don't plan on using the racks and bows, you can probably get the price of the trailers for them. Definitely if you have and sell the tarps. Plenty of guys buy just a bare trailer, and would love a set of racks (even just the metal hardware to build racks with) and a set of metal bows. It's like getting a free trailer to start a build with! Something to think about.

BadPunkin

Observer
What are you guys doing to mount a license plate. I picked up a few magnets from lowes as a temporary solution. To be DOT compliant there is suppose to be a white license plate light. Anyone address this. Pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ps- I got a look at both plates today in the daylight and they are both plated as M101A3s. Doesn't make a difference, just interesting that they are both improperly labelled.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
One of your new tail lights should have a clear lens in the bottom to light up your plate. Mount the plate under the clear lens, you might have to fab a bracket.

It is strange both of your trailers are tagged wrong, but I guess it happens. Look on Government Liquidations.com under trailers and you will see all the different combos.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
My last post didn't take? Anyway, you'll have design a bracket when they come. The lights should have two mounting bolts, just bolt to those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94