"Turtle" my M101A3 build

koolex11

Observer
Those new lights are sweet! You may be aware that there are tons of license plate mounting brackets out there for $5-10 that may give you the results you want without the trouble of welding. Just Google "license plate bracket" and pick the one that fits your needs. If I were to rig a new light, I would put the plate dead center on the tailgate, but that's just me!

BadPunkin

Observer
Those new lights are sweet! You may be aware that there are tons of license plate mounting brackets out there for $5-10 that may give you the results you want without the trouble of welding. Just Google "license plate bracket" and pick the one that fits your needs. If I were to rig a new light, I would put the plate dead center on the tailgate, but that's just me!

That's exactly where i wanted to put it, but wiring the light is a pita. Too many chances for the wiring to get pinched and if you are hauling a long load with the gate down, no plate. I'll probably mount it to the light housing and beat the hell out of it with road debris and rocks when wheeling. Oh well.

koolex11

Observer
Aw I didn't even think about the kickup! Looks like I might need some Yosemite Sam mud flaps! Back off, Varmint!

Arctic Cat

Adventurer
Just my 2 cents. I used to work as an overhaul mechanic when i was in the service on my latter years. The militarypurchased a certain amount of vehicles under contract. As time progress, the vehicle may need modification. An example the M101 trailer was originally desing to be pulled with a larger vehicle. Later they needed were modified and they became the M101A1. Later when the CUCV M1008 and 1009 came out the needed a trailer to be pulled with those vehicles, the trailer was modified again as M101A2. When the HUMVV came out then the M101A3. Some of this trailer were built new, but a great majority of them were converted as they came in to the DEPOT. No if the vehicle only go for a rebuilt, no modification, a tag is place indicating so. If the trailer was modify in any way shape or form the they were complete retaged as a new version, just like a new trailer. Just so you know the military only allowed $2,966.26 (lifetime) in modification and repairs for the M101 series trailers. If the modification and repairs exceeded that amount the trailer were schedule for disposition. At this point the M101 series is been completely phase-out in favor of completely newer trailer.

Dirtytires

Explorer
For the plate just get a cheap motorcylce battery and two small hurricane straps. Place the straps on the light bolts and whoalaa a plate holder. Add a led light and wire a swith to the light then bamm you got plate light. Be creative in all you do. That is what makes these things fun to play with. Good luck and keep us updated.

MadMax7

I am interested in buying the trailer you do not wish to keep. Please let me know if your ready to make that decision. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne