The Mentality of heavy bulky gear...

thecriscokid

Explorer
I think everyone eventually finds there own balance. I tend to be a bit more basic but, as soon as I camp with someone that brought everything possible it makes me think. I like to eat well regardless of where I am so most of my personal luxuries are involved there. I would much rather "slice" a tomato than "smush" it because I saved space on cutlery

I am pretty thrown off by you sig line" '04 Yukon, 4X4, 5.3L Vortex I explore in style" 5.3 Vortex is not exactly minimal. Sounds like you have plenty of room for whatever. I would have expected this kind of question from a Suzuki Samurai owner for sure
:sombrero:

D110

Observer
For me, along with comfort, added weight brings durability - a backpacker wouldn't carry ten tent stakes for the weight of one of mine, but I never have to worry about bending one and they will last a lifetime. My cooler weighs way more than it should (Yeti) yet I can jump up and down on it all day long and I know 10 years from now it'll still be in the back of my truck full of beer. I like buying stuff that I can use and abuse and not worry about damaging, and the price you generally pay for that is weight, or a whole lot of money for high tech materials to save weight that my vehicle will never notice.... but that is just my perspective.

craig333

Expedition Leader
In the Jeep lightweight is important. In the truck its not. Like a lot of people here I enjoy a bit more comfort as I'm getting older. I've done my share of sleeping on the ground, eating bulgur wheat (in my day we couldn't afford freeze dried food) freezing my *** off. I don't miss that stuff much. Not to mention I save a lot of money not buying pricey TI gear.

Do I go over the top? Ask me after I finish putting in my awning and solar and I'll let you know :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
When I was young, I backpacked like a madman.

When I got to be old enough to have a driver's license, I went all over the place on motorcycles and/or in vans with basically the same gear I used for backpacking - plus a little extra. And still backpacked like a madman.

Later I went all over the place in smaller, highly modded 4x4s with basically the same gear I used for backpacking and motorcycling - plus a little extra. And still backpacked like a madman.

Ultimately, I ended up in a great big 4x4 dually extended cab with a utility bed for storage and a great big truck camper and I had sheets and blankets and a nice "house style" bed to sleep in.

But even in the big truck, I still carried the backpack, and the motorcycle, and the same gear - plus a LOT extra. And still backpacked like a madman.

These days, I'm older (and fatter). I no longer backpack like a madman and since my stint as a single father ended I've deliberately "simplified my life". I putter about in an old beat-up Class B camper van, but I still carry a motorcycle and a pack. I still wear boots.

The van will only go so far off the beaten path.
The motorcycle will go places the van won't go.
The boots and pack will go places the motorcycle won't go.

There is ALWAYS that trade-off; A more capable vehicle will take more gear farther (and usually, but not always, faster) before you have to leave it behind, but no vehicle can go where boots and a pack can take you.

Technically, the van I have now is a motorhome, though I tend to view it more like a tent than a motorhome - and a van is a truly excellent tent. Condensation is still an issue, as with any tent, but there is no setup/takedown to deal with.

I'm not by any means a "fair weather" camper; I'll head out whenever I get the chance, and the weather be damned. I actually enjoy being out in rough weather. Unlike a canvas or nylon tent, the van won't blow over in a high wind. or get flooded by heavy rains, or collapse under a heavy snowfall (been there, done that - all of the above). And I never trip over the tie-down lines. It does tend to rock on the springs in high winds, but it has scissors jacks welded to the frame that I can crank down to stabilize it (I rarely bother - it rocks a whole lot less than a boat).

It came with a couch that folds out into a bed. I folded it out and tried it, didn't much like it, and then after that didn't bother. I just roll up in a sleeping bag and use the couch as a cot.

The van does have a few things that are seriously handy. The stove for instance - with a 5 gallon propane tank it lasts for weeks of every day use; No filling, or pumping or priming...just turn it on and light it. After having spent a LOT of nights out of doors (I'd guess between 2500 and 3000 over the last 45 years) - most of those in tents carried either on my back, on my bike or in my truck; The ability to make coffee (or tea, depending on my mood) on even the coldest, wettest mornings - still wrapped up in my sleeping bag and without having to worry about knocking the bloody apparatus over and either getting everything soaked, or setting something on fire (been there, done that, all of the above) - is pure decadent luxury!

Every morning that I sit there, wrapped up and cozy, breath fogging, waiting for the water to boil; I stare at that stove with an idiot grin on my face and I fall in love all over again. Simple pleasures for simple minds, I suppose.

The fridge is also handy - fresh food for weeks and no hassling with bags of ice.

The toilet is handy, but the ability flip a switch and turn on the macerator to pump out the holding tank through a regular garden hose is priceless.

There is a water heater and a shower. The shower...I'm 6'4" and there is less than 6' from the shower pan to the ceiling, so I can't stand up in it - but I can open the back doors, string a tarp between them, pull the shower head out the back and take a stand-up shower outside. When you stay out for longer than a weekend, a shower is another awesome luxury.

The truck also has a powerful propane heater, which I never use.

I changed out the original "laundry sink" type faucet typically used in RVs, for a "bar type" which loops up and over rather than just sticking out into middle of the sink. Now I have room to wash a pot or fill up a gallon water jug. I also added one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Do-Thread-Adapter-THREADED-ADAPTER/dp/B000DZKX5Y/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

Which screws onto the faucet and then you can screw the aerator to it, or remove the aerator and screw on a garden hose. That way, I can use my white "potable water" garden hose, with a small adjustable brass nozzle, to hose things down. I can rinse the dirt off a bike before I wrench on it, or hose down a muddy pooch.

That 20 gallon fresh water tank and electric water pump is REALLY handy.

I can do without these sort of things (and usually have), but what the hey, it's a truck, so why not?

When I go, it's usually just me, and occasionally my grown son (and his shepherd/lab mix bi*ch). He can sleep on the overhead bunk, which is too short for me.

If I was bringing along a wife or girlfriend (or even better - wife and girlfriend :D (or boyfriend if you swing that way) and/or children...what I have and the way I use it probably wouldn't work. In that case, I'd have to consider the oft repeated "Overlander's Question":

Do you want to live IN the vehicle, or AROUND the vehicle?

desertrover

Adventurer
Some thought provoking stuff in this thread.. I know that on one hand, I have managed to load a 1.5 ton truck to capacity. On the other hand, my 10 day backpacking backpacking load weighs about 20 pounds. I suppose my approach to the truck was to make the truck a mobile base camp of sorts. I can get my rig down the same trails that give many moderately built rigs trouble, park somewhere, and grab my ready to go backpack or mountain bike to travel that way. After a week on foot, cooking dehydrated backpacking food on a soda can stove, it's nice to get back to the truck and cook a real meal on gas in cast iron. Fill up the solar shower with the sink, get some clean clothes out of the cabinet, cold beer out of the fridge, etc. One of the great things about this forum is that we can discuss everything from bicycles and backpacking to F-650's and MAN KAT's. Different kinds of travel appeal to different people, but the focus here really is towards vehicle dependent travel. As long as people are getting out there, enjoying themselves, and treading lightly, I think it's just a personal choice if they want to be carrying 1/4 ton of lead acid or if they're going to peel the wrappers off of the lithium AA's in their GPS..

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
All points well taken & considered

DWH ~ "Do you want to live IN the vehicle, or AROUND the vehicle?"

Guess I want to live nearby the vehicle, I have a back injury that prevents me from wandering off despite the love of doing so. I am an amateur radio op so I use the suv as my mobile communication center to kill time

Instead of sleeping on the ground, I have switched to hammock camping, I usually bring 2, one for sleeping - HH ASYM Explorer & a basic one for lounging at the site. so my shelter(s) maybe combined weigh in at 5-6lbs with rain fly. I also have copied the awning setups with an old basher tarp that I attach to the roof rack and to some trees. will look into the vehicle awning soon. of course the folding camp chairs

cooking can be either a whisperlite int, pocket rocket or an old coleman dual burner to fit the needs

looking into getting an off road trailer so I may carry a few more creature comfort items like my plastic folding table, bigger cooler & latern, the kids bikes etc

Even when I was younger out in WA I remember my dad taking one of the many St.Regis or Weyhauser forest service roads adn riding it out to what we thought was an ideal campsite along a river, stream or pond, I think I would like to replicate that now as my main intentions

now we just pack all the light weight camping gear in the thule carrier up top or on the receiver rack that I kind of have mixed emotions about

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
My preferred expedition truck is very tight on space so I strive for light weight and compact. Pretty easy to do since I am an old backpacker also. With even one passenger, it can be a pretty tight fit for a week's worth of supplies and equipment. I did buy a smaller fridge, but have yet to use it in this truck.

D110

Observer
I think there are two conversations being had in this thread - 1) How much "stuff" do you carry and why 2)How important is the weight of what you carry. In most vehicles space is more of an issue than weight, meaning that you will usually run out of room before you max out the weight. I have to carry my tent, should I worry if the tent weighs 4lbs or 32lbs - probably not. Should I worry if the tent takes up 1cubic foot of space or 2.2cubic feet of space... probably more of a consideration. I try and keep my needs fairly minimalist when I head out, but my gear is heavy and I like it that way - the tent stakes don't bend, the cooler doubles as a seat (or bomb shelter), the tent poles don't break, and I can stop bullets with my frying pan. My point being that you can still take a minimalist approach in what gear you carry, but what the vehicle affords is the ability to carry more dependable and durable gear as the specific weight of each item is not as important as it is when you are carrying it on your back. It is silly to shave ounces on an item and risk durability and dependability (not to mention spending more $$$) when your vehicle can easily handle the difference in weight that we are usually talking about.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I doubt a fridge is going to impact my vehicles' mud performance; what does are the tires and the good ones tend to weigh a lot more than the ones that aren't so good.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I second D110's comments. I also often find myself traveling in a group and then I take upon myself the added responsibility of bringing extensive recovery/emergency/medical gear so that I can be of help should a problem arise. My backpacking gear is stored separately from my car camping gear simply because they are optimized for different circumstances. Once you have enjoyed the benefits of sleeping in a larger tent (or even better one that is off the ground) it is hard to settle for "roughing it" in a small backpacking tent with a thin air mattress/pad/thermarest/etc when you don't have to.

My $0.02
Cheers,
Greg

D

Deleted member 9101

I am new here to this forum, & just starting out modifying my truck

I was a long time hiker, with lightweight gear. I try to carry on this ideal into my SUV days now. titanium pots & cooking gear, UL stove, hammock & fly plus dehydrated food..

I do not understand why one has to have such luxurious items on board their vehicles.

You are attempting to get your vehicle into remote areas where one would think: fuel, mileage, & weight would be their greatest considerations.

too much weight uses excess fuel, bogs you down in mud etc

someone please explain what I am missing, I also would love to have all the amenities of home too, however it takes away from the experience I imagine

even with this all said, I still want to add an on board air compressor for starters, items to get me back home basically

I drive a V-8 powered full size truck, and pull a trailer when I go camping. The amount of gear I carry is really irrelevant as my fuel economy is amazingly consistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz