Adventurer
Casio Pathfinder.

cb.aspx

X2 love my pathfinder

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Watch

Even I would not take an expensive watch to Mexico. Even hidden . There is no difference between the bad guys and the bad guys. If you haven't noticed there is a full blown insurgency with two criminal groups (narcos and government) fighting for power.
This insurgency has given rise to other criminals taking advantage of a lawless society. You will be giving your watch over in a second when you have a gun to your head or even better at your companions head.
You would be better off taking a couple of cheaper watches so you have a throw down when needed.

That being said here is my SUB out on another mission.

Attachments

• MRAP (med).jpg
    MRAP (med).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 105
Suunto Core. I'm madly hard on gear and it keeps up with me... from the slums of Mexico to above the Arctic Circle in Russia. Never fails and, so far, battery life has been stellar. Highly recommend.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Watch

I always wanted a Marathon JSAR so I got one.

Attachments

• 006[1].jpg
    006[1].jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 101

digitaldelay

Explorer
My Timex Expedition has been great for my outdoor activities. I go through a leather strap every year, or so. I might switch back to a metal link band.

I had a very cool looking Wenger until the numbers started falling off the face :( That's when I went back to a Timex.

Jason

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Thermometer question.

I'm on my second Suunto Observer which I really like. I don't like wearing a watch so it doesn't get much abuse, but the compass on the first said east was everywhere, not helpful!!

Anyhow, the temperature displayed on both always essentially was of my wrist. Usually about 32 deg C. If I take it off for a while of course it goes to ambient, but thats a bit daft.

So my question is, is temperature on a watch just a gimmick really? How accurately does yours tell you ambient accurately rather than what 5mm above your skin is?

Cheers

:)

Gooseberry

Explorer
OK I have a watch fetish so I have the Timex Helix, Suunto and the casio pathfinder as none dress watches. The Timex eats batteries and compass would turn on with hand movements and the sunnto was great but the battery was killing me. I do SAR for the NP and it seems to fail at the wrong Time. I found the Casio at a clearence store and have fell in love with it.

Its Solar so no battery to change and has a gauge you can see. It updates its time setting every morning from the atomic clock and gives you a report to check it. its record function is way easier then the helix and has a little graph to see.

Gooseberry

Explorer
temperature is only good if you take off the watch and hang it from a pack or set it down and I find it some time later in the woods.

Thermometer question.

I'm on my second Suunto Observer which I really like. I don't like wearing a watch so it doesn't get much abuse, but the compass on the first said east was everywhere, not helpful!!

Anyhow, the temperature displayed on both always essentially was of my wrist. Usually about 32 deg C. If I take it off for a while of course it goes to ambient, but thats a bit daft.

So my question is, is temperature on a watch just a gimmick really? How accurately does yours tell you ambient accurately rather than what 5mm above your skin is?

Cheers

:)

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Even the Tissot's instructions indicate removal:

For the best reading of the temperature, remove the watch from
your wrist and wait for approximately 15 to 30 minutes. For more
information see the explanation of the thermometer on page 13.

To me, that makes it more gimmicky than functional, I rarely take my watch off, even though my smartphone has the time, my watch is always been my go-to for time.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Anyone know of a few good watch's with moon phase? Particularly those with the sapphire crystal? My wife wears a Tissot with it, and I really like it. Even though its a man's watch she won't let me borrow it for hunting :) My Seiko has a sapphire crystal and its near indestructible.

Tissot-PR50-Moonphase-Mens-Watch-T0124231105200.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Yes, Suunto has to be removed to tell the correct temp. My Suunto Core is going back for warranty service/replacement. The Mode button has failed after only 3 months. Suunto got back to me right away stating it is indeed a warranty issue and it will be addressed. The only Canadian Depot is in Montreal Quebec, and they have yet to get back to me. MEC sells them but will only service the ones they sell.

Bummer.

Still my fav watch ever.

gm13

Adventurer
Anyone know of a few good watch's with moon phase? Particularly those with the sapphire crystal? My wife wears a Tissot with it, and I really like it. Even though its a man's watch she won't let me borrow it for hunting :) My Seiko has a sapphire crystal and its near indestructible.

I've an earlier design of the ATS Tidemaster, going on 13 years now. I don't think it's a sapphire crystal, though it has held up well. The Moon and tide readings have remained pretty accurate, I may slightly adjust tide twice a year. My version has a Moon dial similar to your linked Tissot; this new version must display it in the digital window.
products-2012-06-14-a1061-mid-lrg-display.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Curl-Mens-A1061-Tidemaster/dp/B005XD18DW/ref=pd_sbs_watch_2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke