Watches - ExPo Style

Donkey_jaw

Observer
seiko watch.jpg

This is my new Seiko Prosper. I've always liked Seikos but have never cared for the Hardex crystal they used. When I heard they had used Sapphires on the new Prospex watches I purchased one. I replaced the original steel band with a mesh one

DiscoDavis

Explorer
24757641293_193bcb602e_c.jpg

24753675894_4d0d8e9edb_c.jpg

Steinhart OOV with the ST5 movement.

I can attest it is expedition material. I have managed to scratch the sapphire glass by falling a few feet onto a brick driveway with it but it buffed out at my jeweler. Otherwise impossible to mark the crystal, and it has seen concrete walls, roof racks, ladders, power tools, sandpaper, during its hard service so far. Many many scratches to bezel, case. These can be polished away at some point but why bother now. Nothing bothers this thing.

10/10 would use more steinharts

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I've sung the praises of my $50 Timex Expedition watch for a few years. Unfortunately, the rubber band recently broke and Timex was no help in locating a new one. Instead, I went with a simple NATO band, and am very happy again. On other thing I noticed: We were camping in 18 degree (F) weather and I had taken the watch off. When I woke up, it was a few hours off and barely moving. This is not something I'd experienced before. Apparently, if I had kept it on and in the sleeping bag, that wouldn't have happened. Still love the watch, however.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm not a watch collector, or enthusiast of any real sort. To me it's just a tool, nothing more or less, and I can never envision spending $1k for a watch. With that out of the way I AM looking for one and I figure here might be as good a place as any.

What I want:

Simple: I need it to tell time and not much else.

Not digital: I want hands, preferably fat, not those skinny little things you see a lot of. I don't even really need numbers, and would rather have just a big fat dot in all the right places, but if I can't have that numbers will do. Big ones.

Luminescent: Without having to push a button, and without it having to "charge" by sunlight or something, unless it can take a charge and then glow all night long.

Face: Nice and big. Not Hip Hop ghetto rapper bling bling big, but on the largish side.

Color: Black, or green, or grey or something military-ish. And not shiny. Not meant to be a dress watch.

Brand: Don't really care as long as it fits into the limits of below.

Price: At the outside, $200-$250 tops. Less is better but if it's Superman level rugged I could be convinced.

Any takers?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Beside the light, g shock is your watch. You can however set the light to come on when you look at it.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I'm not a watch collector, or enthusiast of any real sort. To me it's just a tool, nothing more or less, and I can never envision spending $1k for a watch. With that out of the way I AM looking for one and I figure here might be as good a place as any.

What I want:

Not digital: I want hands, preferably fat, not those skinny little things you see a lot of. I don't even really need numbers, and would rather have just a big fat dot in all the right places, but if I can't have that numbers will do. Big ones.

Luminescent: Without having to push a button, and without it having to "charge" by sunlight or something, unless it can take a charge and then glow all night long.

Face: Nice and big. Not Hip Hop ghetto rapper bling bling big, but on the largish side.

Color: Black, or green, or grey or something military-ish. And not shiny. Not meant to be a dress watch.

Price: At the outside, $200-$250 tops. Less is better but if it's Superman level rugged I could be convinced.

Any takers?

Momentum Steelix, exactly what you want and about $100. Canadian company

Brushed steel face comes with a rugged NATO band in a few colours

Good to 200m water

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Funny... I was going to suggest either a Momentum or a Casio/G-Shock? lol

I have a Casio, the G-Shock Tough Solar analog with some great features. It has an alarm, date and day, decent luminescence and sets itself via Atomic Time Correction daily.

Great watch, no batteries or maintenance to speak of and hardy enough for most anything you can throw at it. I think i pair $250 ish but they can be had cheaper.

The Momentum lineup is stellar. Designed and assembled in Vancouver of parts of Swiss and Japanese origin as I recall. I am a BIG fan of their Titan III, mostly because of the alarm and it is Titanium.

Great options.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
This is my G shock. I love it. got it for 117.99 at the local sportchek. Actually it was cheaper with my sons employee discount.

casio-orologio-plastica-grigia-ga-110ts-8a3er-art9219-82snco.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer

What I want:

Any takers?

Maratac Mid/Full Pilot

MARATAC_PILOT_LUME1.jpg

http://wornandwound.com/2011/12/28/review-maratac-pilot-watch/

>govt contract watch with a solid miyota 8245 auto movement, even has an NSN number.
>100m water resistance
>Near your price requirement (sadly they used to be sub $200 until everyone found out about them), fixed supply...
>insane lume (best I have seen outside of a $2k muhle SAR)
>clean, brand-free face
>comes with a black nato. they look good on green
>domed sapphire crystal (perfect clarity, anti-reflective, next to impossible to scratch), plus is gorgeous
>4-oclock crown, screw-down (a necessity for wet environments).

Prices have changed since I bought one a few years ago. You could find one on ebay/used. Very good tool and everyday watches. Sapphire glass alone is usually $100-$250 for the component. if you could find the watch for ~300 it would be a good find.

IMO blends with clothing WAY better than a g-shock does. Even if you aren't a watch guy you'll appreciate that it can take tons of abuse. Mine is still around here somewhere...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online