Tips Whilst You Are Traveling With an Autistic Kid

Jeanyelem

Spammer!
Traveling jointly with an autistic behavior child is may be distressing, but it does not have to be. If you've got an autistic behavior child and you intend for traveling, then you must take some planning to control behavior which include withdrawn, outburst and obnubilated behavior. Autistic child attention is very thin and he she cannot realize why he should sit in a long period of time while you're traveling from one area to another location. They sometimes oppose badly to the situation he she can't realize and most of the time you may not control it. But adequate planning and plan in advance can lessen some of your worries and can control what will happen.

Here are what I choose to stress when you are planning to travel with your autistic behavior child.

Discuss to your child about the trip. You may bring in to him her about what he she should expect about the the trip. You can have the story board or other visual stuff that can help him really know what to expect of a trip. Make sure that he she realizes that he will likely not travel alone that allows he she will likely not afraid or troubles to something. Show him her several information that he she should know prior of the trip starts.

Take him her also in backpacking the things. Insure him her that you are backpacking his or her favourite things and then ask him what whatever else he she wants to bring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Great info. Our youngest son has Aspergers Disorder, also known as High Functioning Autism.

Involving him in the trip preparations, making sure he packs the things he may want to have with (as well as a mixture of things, as his attention span becomes short after a while. Having things that are different in nature help)

I need frequent stops to stretch/rest due to my own disabilities, so that helps. We try and stop at 'roadside attractions' where there is stuff to do/things to look at, or rest areas with trails.

That way my wife and son can take in the sights while I stretch/rest.

John has a mind like a steel trap, and a really good sense of time/direction. Having him help me plan the route on the map or with Google maps, really helps.

He remembers what towns we'll be going through, and will occasionally do some research on his own online, finding out what is in each town, or some history/facts about the area.

Makes the trip go smoother, and the wife and I learn new stuff about some of the places we have been driving through for years!

He is also great with the maps while on the road, and is my designated 'Navigator'

mesha

Observer
great tips! I have a friend with 2 autistic kids and they have kept him from getting out. I think these tips will greatly help him.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I'll bet he doesn't let you make too many wrong turns! :)

To true!!

great tips! I have a friend with 2 autistic kids and they have kept him from getting out. I think these tips will greatly help him.

I agree, try and get them out!! My wife has some good info and links with tips for doing things (trips, etc) with autistic/Aspergers kids.

And while the tips were good in the OP's post (first and only post:snorkel:) Looking at it again, I do believe we got taken by a 'spammer' who was pushing online car eantal/hotel bookings.:elkgrin:

I guess I shouldn't say we got 'taken', since we did learn some info from the post!:coffeedrink:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
My son has Asperger's as well. I guess you could say I got lucky on a trip when I showed him how to use the GPS to find a geocache. He was quickly becoming bored with camping so we set out on foot using the handheld gps..hooked! now just about every weekend he asks to go look for treasure.
NWOSSpringswapmeetgettogether201-11.jpg

NWOSSpringswapmeetgettogether201-4.jpg

With our son the trick is "the plan" as long as he has that we are pretty good. Thankfully now that he is 10 years old he seems to be getting less rigid in his thinking and becoming more acceptable of change.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
am I just odd- the post is spam !- with two links to a travel booking site

Mind you its seems to bring up relevent comments from people so I suppose thats a good thing.

Travelling happily with kids- autistic or not is always dificult especially if its a rare event

attention span and being bored is always a challenge.

We travel regularly- 9 hour trans atlantic flights before and now 4-5 hour ones latin to north america then long car journeys on arrival

We usually buy a bunch of small coloring books- plasticine-puzzles and sticker books for each journey

all new and not previously seen

Also two lap tops are charged and loaded with unseen DVD's too- pop on her hello kitty earphones and she's busy for the whole film

Small snacks- cream cheese etc to fill in the "I'm hungry" pauses

Animal hunting is her newest favorite as our latest trip to our CO land had a variety of critters visiting us

deer-porqupine-racoons-squirrels and a bear down the road too- so then you have to spend time explaining what they are, what they eat and which ones are friendly.

basic animal books for camping trips.

I think all kids like to get involved and as mine gets older i sure she will

best of luck and added patience for those of you with kids with extra needs !

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Really the mods should just delete the first post and keep the thread going. I think a lot of members would find the rest of the thread relevant and might even make a good overall thread for this topic.

Edit - I noticed the mods already flushed the spam and clarified the poor English. Nice work, Nashvillerover - glad you're keeping the thread!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
My son has Asperger's as well. I guess you could say I got lucky on a trip when I showed him how to use the GPS to find a geocache.

My son will be 10 this Oct. He also loves Geo caching, and figured out the GPS fairly quick!

He loves using the map, and being the 'navigator' when we go places.

Like your son, as he gets older, he is less rigid about things, but still needs some routine.

am I just odd- the post is spam !- with two links to a travel booking site

That's my bad:snorkel: I didn't even notice it was spam until after I had responded.

I never clicked the links, becuase it was the topic that got my attention. I try not to feed spammers, but got caught off guard!

Thanks to Nishvillerover for editing the spam, and keeping the thread/topic going!!

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles