My Woody expo trailer.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Well i have this post else where but thought i would post here as well. Its always nice to get input from different sources.

i have been lurking Expo sites for awhile getting ideas for my own, i am building my box structure from wood rather than the seems to be normal steel. I have good faith in the structure to hold up to the rigors of what ill use it for. Wood structure is significantly lighter that's for sure.

the build is underway, and will progress hopefully be done by spring.
Photo0072.jpg

Photo0074.jpg

Photo0077.jpg

Photo0080.jpg

Photo0082.jpg

Photo0085.jpg

Photo0089.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Also interested to hear what you're coating it with. I wonder what the final weight will be. Looks good so far!

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
I will be skinning it with 1.5 oz fiberglass cloth and West system epoxy resin. inside i will tape all the corners with the same and coat the rest with straight resin. I will spray it after with auto finishes.
according to my math , the box done will be around 130 lbs. as it sits i can pick it up a tad awkward but light enough. i figured a steel box same dimensions would be about 380.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
It will be fun to follow your build. I am building a gear hauler out of wood. Mine is more like a quick and dirty prototype that I will rebuild once I figure out what I want :)

Gear Hauler

Can't wait to see more of your build.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Another update this small stuff be time consuming that and the boss (the wife) making me work :coffee:

Any way got the top frames and ribs in and glued. worked on the nose box lid because the guys screwed up my water tank.
so got the nose box framing sanded and shaped to where i wanted prepped and glued on two skins 1/8" skins.
next i started the long process of filleting all the inside corners for glass tape. Got bored doing that and started work on back doors (no pics) will add later.

Photo0091.jpg

Photo0092.jpg

Photo0093.jpg

Photo0094.jpg

Photo0095.jpg

Photo0096.jpg

Photo0097.jpg

Photo0098.jpg

That's it for today maybe more tomorrow if the boss lets me play:)

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
Just curious, what is the reason for the rounded top? It should shed water quite nicely and it looks great. However, you might roll out of your RTT. :eek:

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
No reason other than it looks way better than say a flat top. That and the challenge of getting it to look good. Plus this is a 1 off and i like to be different :)
The RTT will be supported by a small metal brace externally and a reinforcement plate internally. The other advantage to the curved top is a place to run wiring and plumbing that's up out of the way.I use conduit to run wires/plumbing.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Update.
Trimmed and sanded front hatch turned out fine.

Started kitchen layout after trimming opening for doors.
Built main counter ,laminated,trimmed and temp installed so i can measure for everything else.

Photo0100.jpg

Photo0101.jpg

Photo0103.jpg

Photo0105.jpg

Photo0107.jpg

Photo0109.jpg

On another note, I have had some interest in my area for pull out kitchen boxes for military and other styles of trailers. In both kit form and assembled.
I know shipping out of the states to Canada is a pain but it seems that it is easier to ship state side from here. That and do you think there would be a market for these in the states.? If i am breaking a rule posting this i apologize. and this could be deleted.

Thanks

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
The cooler/fridge will be in the back of the jeep :) the one disadvantage to wanting lighter trailer i guess .. in hindsight i could fit it in the storage area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste