Word from Discout tire.. NO aftermarket steel wheels fit 98+ taco without spacers??

wildmed

Searching for some black steel wheels to pair with some new 255/85 km2s. My friends down at discount tire did a bunch of calling/searching and have come to the conclusion that NO aftermarket steel wheels fit 98+ Tacoma without a spacer. (Id rather keep the bling than run spacers). This is apparently because Toyota flared out the break caliper after that year? I've searched all over and cant find much to support this, but they are adamant. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've looked at the TTORA wheel fitment guide but it does not have much on 1st gens. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RR1

Explorer
Should of went to Jack Furriers...

There is something about Discount that drives me nuts.:ylsmoke:

PBnFJ

Observer
X2 on wheelers steelies

I had an FJC previously that had similar fit issues but I was able to fit tundra 16x7 steelies on the the FJC without spacers. You could also find a set of 17" FJC steelies, I am sure those would work on the Tacoma.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have a set of those black steelies from Wheelers sitting in my shed I ran for several years on my '04 Doublecab without a problem. Discount has gone retard over the last 10 years. I never go there anymore. Especially since my nephew got a job at Belle Tire.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
another vote for wheelers

pretty much all auto part stores have gone idiot lately. you cant go in and find a part unless you give them a year, model, make, engine size, drive-train. without that info most people around where i live dont have a clue what anything is. they just pull the box off the shelf that has the right number on it.

nobody can beat discount for tires and convenience. the warranty will get me to go back for the rest of my life and the free balance and rotate kicks butt when on super long road trips. within about 2 miles all the weights had been knocked off my wheels on the rubicon and by the end the wheels were dented up like crazy. i stopped at the discount in reno and they put new weights on (stuck to the inside this time) and rotated my tires for me. no charge.

wildmed

Wheelers looks like a good deal. 300+ seems a little steep for steel wheels but it may be worth it. Does anyone know about the wheelers 1/4" spacer? Is that enough to cause the extra stress on the front end? I kinda had my heart set on the D window look.

wildmed

Trump,
I've looked at that and suggested the unique 42's that are listed to discount (they sell ALOT of unique wheels there). Was told that they didn't think they would fit. Im not a huge fan of discount either, but the manager there has taken great care of me and has offered to do the wheel swap for free.

wildmed

Maybe I will try to contact unique directly to see what they know. On their website it says craggar classic in the top right corner which makes me wonder if they are just rebranded craggar wheels.

VW Jeeper

Observer
wildmed,

For what it's worth I ran 15x7 Crager Soft 8's with 33x10.5 BFG KM1s on my '01 Tacoma. I DID have to shave/grind the calipers a bit for them to fit but it wasn't that hard and several guys have done it over on TTORA. Common sense tells me if 15's fit with caliper shaving a set of 16's would fit without any modifications (I assume you will are trying to fit 16x8 steel wheels to run the 255/85s).

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Pro-Comp wheels (available/owend by 4WPW) and sold by Wheelers will do the trick just fine, I've had several different sets of their steel wheels on my Tacoma's including 15" steelies I'm running now. I get them from Wheelers as they often stock them when 4WPW does not.

wildmed

Which pro comp wheels are you running/ work? I think the wheelers wheels are going to be a little cost prohibitive with shipping + lugs.

GreenTaco4x4

Observer
wildmed,

For what it's worth I ran 15x7 Crager Soft 8's with 33x10.5 BFG KM1s on my '01 Tacoma. I DID have to shave/grind the calipers a bit for them to fit but it wasn't that hard and several guys have done it over on TTORA. Common sense tells me if 15's fit with caliper shaving a set of 16's would fit without any modifications (I assume you will are trying to fit 16x8 steel wheels to run the 255/85s).

I did this on my old truck. Only I hit the back of the D window on the rims with the flap wheel instead of the caliper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles