Anyone have a Sheep Camp / Range Camp?

jonharis

I've been in the market for a tow behind for my 100 series LC for some time now. I have two small girls dog and wife that always go camping with me. We started looking at the AT Horizon but once you got a family sized tent on top have dismissed the idea, we like the Kimberly Kamper but the price tag is slowing/stopping us. I've been closly watching the xpoTRAIL and am leaning toward something hard sided.

I live in western Colorado and there is a lot of sheep grazing in the area. I always see these "sheep camps" in the back country with wood stoves going. They dont look like they have much for suspension/heavy duty tires but they look rugged and very comfortable. There are several companies out there that are making higher end setups that are geared toward recreational use. Any input would be awesome.

http://expeditionrangecamps.com/photo-gallery/?galleryID=1

http://www.wilsoncamps.com/index.html

Sheep Camp.jpg

Sheep Camp2.jpg

[video]http://youtu.be/DB7fcmTDKf0[/video]

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
They look really cool, I bet that woodstove would drive you out of there.....lol.

Are they road worthy and can they be licenced as a trailer?....or would you tow it out somewhere and leave it?

Probabaly very, very comfortable with zero set up.

jonharis

They are street legal. I see them with license plates on them. With regards to the wood stove, I agree it would get really hot, really fast. I think it would take some finesse to get the temp regulated.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have towed hay trailers on secondary roads and they snake at higher speed.
Ever watch a tandem pup UPS of freight box trailer they like to sway too!
It is a cool concept and could be built very cheap with housing type construction.

loren85022

Explorer
I'm not seeing a whole lot of room for the tires to articulate upwards. With such a long wheelbase, I'd suspect you'd need it as you tow across other than a venture off the beaten path. I'm not seeing anything that makes me want to give up my 20' toyhauler for camping at state and national parks.

STREGA

Explorer
I think you may be on to something here Jon. When me and Susie did the Alpine Loop a couple weeks ago there was one almost at the top of Engineer pass, it was on the Lake City side which would be easier than the Ouray side to get up but still a bit of a challenge to get there. I would think having a wheel in each corner would make it pretty stable. I have seen them all over the back country here in Colorado over the years, most of them looked like they had seen alot of use. The family would be very comfy inside the trailer when the weather was not cooperating, way better than any tent.

MikeR

Check this one out..

You will want to check out the Haul Tent.. I have one and it's awesome, comfortable, off road capable, light, carries 2000lb over its own weight of 1000 empty. Add the furnace and water tank with hot water heater and you are all set. Handmade, welded aluminum and stainless steel. No paint to scratch and no rust. Fast set up and take down, comfortable beds or couch. Rock solid off road rig. Take a look!

www.haultent.com

Mike

grogie

Like to Camp
I walked through one at a show one time. Lots of room. Would be great to park on your own property for one, and use anytime of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94