Tri-fold RTT?

Matto

Observer
they did twin RTT's in long way down in 2007. seemed to work good for them, dont they have double wide ones now?
There's a company here in Aus that markets effectively what you're talking about - it's a side-fold RTT that's just extra long, so you end up with a huge interior space. Can't remember the name of them for the life of me though - they're one of the more well-known brands.

Alternatively, a custom canvas mob would be able to make you something to suit. I know a bloke here who makes camper trailers, and he has in the past made all manner of odd-shaped RTTs for customers. Some of his work - http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=507.0

I don't know about a tri-fold design, seems to me to be overly complex for what you get out of it, but that's just me. That said, some of the camper trailers here are coming with cheaper Chinese tents, that fold out on both sides:

94D11381EC88C29B59024FC5E439FBCA.jpg

I'm sure with a design like that as a base, you could modify it to a RTT style pretty easily.

Good luck!
Matto :)

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
We did a prototype about ten years ago that might be what you are looking for. We had a client with big Hummer that wanted a large military style trailer that would track his H1 and also wanted a tent system for his family.

Here is what we came up with
4x4HummerOpenM.jpg

I wish we had a picture of this attached to the Hummer so you could get an idea of scale. 4x4 Trailers built a one off huge military trailer and the tent system is two AutoHome medium sized OverCamps. Together they are roughly 7 foot long and over 12 foot wide. There are zippers stitched above the doors so you can simply zip in a small attachment awning between the tents and large awnings or changing rooms on the outside to make the whole rig huge.

These tents are by special order, you can talk to Mike at AutoHome to get them, he will probably want you to sign a liability waiver. The problem with the tents, if you can call it a problem is that they are expedition tents, not designed for family camping. The whole sides of the tent opens up so in you get maximum ventilation in the tropics but if you keep the door and screens open, you could in theory roll right out of the tent in your sleep.

Cost wasn't an object in this concept. The advantage of having two tents is handling. The OverCamps are pretty well optimized for weight but they were quite heavy something like 135 pounds each. So, if you had one tent of comparable size, you would be looking at something like 250 pounds, you would need a forklift to get it up there. The reason why you don't see anything like this marketed is that it exceeds manufacturer's warranties. Even Hummer sets a 165 pound maximum for weight on the roof. You don't have to worry about the structure, these are designed for rollovers. It is the dynamic load, when you are driving, that they are concerned with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke